Current:Home > Finance"Jeopardy!" game show to reuse questions, contestants during WGA strike -Quantum Capital Pro
"Jeopardy!" game show to reuse questions, contestants during WGA strike
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:04:39
The Hollywood writer's strike is forcing "Jeopardy!" now in its 40th season, to make adjustments to its show after producers acknowledged the original plan was "compromised" by the historic labor movement.
Lacking sufficient fresh material for a new season, "Jeopardy!" will recycle both old material and contestants, executive producer Michael Davies revealed on the most recent episode of the "Inside Jeopardy!" podcast.
He called it the "most optimal solution," given the circumstances and the fact that the show's original plan was scuttled.
He explained the impetus for not hosting first-time trivia competitors in the midst of the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) strike.
"I also believe principally that it would not be fair to have new contestants making their first appearance on the Alex Trebek stage doing it with non-original material or a combination of non-original material and material that was written pre-strike," he said.
A second chance
The show's producers have found a workaround it hopes will be a hit with both contestants and viewers. It will proceed with a new season of the show featuring contestants from season 37 who lost their first games. Normally, first-round losers would not be given a second chance to appear on stage.
"We decided that really we needed to invite back and give a second chance in general to players who probably thought that their chance to come back and play on the Alex Trebek stage had gone forever," Davies continued.
The returning contestants will compete on a combination of material written before the strikes as well as material "that is being redeployed from multiple, multiple seasons of the show," Davies said.
He announced an additional major change unrelated to the WGA strike. The prize purses for second and third place finishers will increase by $1,000 each.
- Hollywood strikes taking a toll on California's economy
- Impact of Hollywood strikes being felt across the pond
- Why are Hollywood actors on strike?
"So third-place prize will move up to $2,000, the second place prize will move up to $3,000," Davies said. The move had been a work in progress he added, given that contestants have to pay their own way to appear on the show.
"We understand that post-COVID, travel costs have increased. We understand how complicated funding a trip to 'Jeopardy! is for many contestants within our community, and we think this is way about time that we did this," Davies said.
"Celebrity Jeopardy!" will return with both brand new material and contestants in September, Davies added, given that trivia questions were completed before writers went on strike. It features all new original material, and the show is currently booking guests.
veryGood! (88)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Suspected serial killer faces life in prison after being convicted of 2 murders by Delaware jury
- Inflation slowed faster than expected in October. Does that mean rate hikes are over?
- Target tops third quarter expectations, but inflation weighs on shoppers
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Whitney Port Shares Her Surrogate Suffered 2 Miscarriages
- Finland considers closing border crossings with Russia to stem an increase in asylum-seekers
- China and the US pledge to step up climate efforts ahead of Biden-Xi summit and UN meeting
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Work resumes at Montana mine where 24-year-old worker was killed in machinery accident
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- How Lisa Rinna's New Era Is All About Taking Risks and Embracing Change
- Jeff Bezos, Lauren Sánchez's engagement party was a star-studded affair in Beverly Hills
- André 3000 announces debut solo album, featuring no lyrics: 'I don't want to troll people'
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- A suspect in the 1994 Rwanda genocide goes on trial in Paris after a decadeslong investigation
- Colorado supermarket shooting suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- A casserole-loving country: Our most-popular Thanksgiving sides have a common theme
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
California program to lease land under freeways faces scrutiny after major Los Angeles fire
Billie Eilish on feeling 'protective' over Olivia Rodrigo: 'I was worried about her'
GOP senator challenges Teamsters head to a fight in a fiery exchange at a hearing
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Robin Roberts Reacts to Michael Strahan's Good Morning America Return After His Absence
College football bowl projections: Is chaos around the corner for the SEC and Pac-12?
Britain’s highest court rules Wednesday on the government’s plan to send asylum-seekers to Rwanda