Current:Home > NewsU.S. Air Force conducts test launch of unarmed Minuteman III ICBM from California -Quantum Capital Pro
U.S. Air Force conducts test launch of unarmed Minuteman III ICBM from California
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:51:18
The U.S. Air Force tested an unarmed intercontinental ballistic missile with nuclear capabilities early Wednesday morning, as the Minuteman III launched from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California at around 1:30 a.m. PT.
The long-range missile carried three test reentry vehicles and traveled roughly 4,200 miles from its launch site to the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, the Air Force Global Strike Command said in a news release. Wednesday's launch was one of at least 300 nuclear tests that occurred previously, according to the agency, which noted that the latest one it came as part of a wider program meant to "demonstrate that the United States' nuclear deterrent is safe, secure, reliable and effective to deter twenty-first century threats and reassure our allies."
Calling the Minuteman III test launch an example of "routine and periodic activities" by the Air Force Global Strike Command, Wednesday's news release clarified that "this test is not the result of current world events."
"Test launches validate our deterrence capabilities to the American public and to our allies," said Gen. Thomas Bussiere, a commander with the Air Force Global Strike Command, in a statement included in the release. The agency added that test launches like this one "verify the accuracy and reliability of the ICBM weapon system, providing valuable data to ensure a continued safe, secure and effective nuclear deterrent."
The Vandenberg Space Force Base, located along the Pacific Coast in Santa Barbara, shared a similar statement about the then-upcoming test launch in late August, saying it had been scheduled years in advance. U.S. officials notified the Russian government about their plans to carry out the test ahead of Wednesday's launch, which is consistent with standard procedures under the Hague Code of Conduct, the space force base said.
The Hague Code of Conduct Against Ballistic Missile Proliferation was signed in November 2002 to regulate the use of ballistic missiles and weapons of mass destructions, and has since increased its membership from 93 to 143 signatories. Members who have signed the Hague Code "voluntarily commit themselves politically to provide pre-launch notifications (PLNs) on ballistic missile and space-launch vehicle launches (SLVs) and test flights," according to the official website for the agreement.
- In:
- Nuclear Weapons
- U.S. Air Force
- California
- Missile Launch
veryGood! (259)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Can you answer these 60 Christmas trivia questions on movies, music and traditions?
- NFL mock draft 2024: Patriots in position for QB Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels lands in Round 1
- Patients expected Profemur artificial hips to last. Then they snapped in half.
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Horoscopes Today, December 5, 2023
- Tuberville is ending blockade of most military nominees, clearing way for hundreds to be approved
- USWNT to close out disappointing year, turn new leaf: How to watch game today vs. China
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- House explodes as police in Arlington, Virginia, try to execute search warrant, officials say
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Brenda Lee's Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree tops Billboard Hot 100 chart for first time since 1958 release
- Beyoncé climbs ranks of Forbes' powerful women list: A look back at her massive year
- NFL mock draft 2024: Patriots in position for QB Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels lands in Round 1
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Chrysler recalls 142,000 Ram vehicles: Here's which models are affected
- NCAA President Charlie Baker proposing new subdivision that will pay athletes via trust fund
- A woman has died and 2 people have been wounded in a shooting in east London, police say
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Young and the Restless Actor Billy Miller’s Cause of Death Revealed
Two separate earthquakes, magnitudes 5.1 and 3.5, hit Hawaii, California; no tsunami warning
Maduro orders the ‘immediate’ exploitation of oil, gas and mines in Guyana’s Essequibo
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
23andMe hack let threat actor access data for millions of customers, company says
Jets drop Tim Boyle, add Brett Rypien in latest QB shuffle
Air Force identifies the eight US crew lost in Osprey crash in Japan