Current:Home > StocksEthermac Exchange-Biden won’t participate in nonpartisan commission’s fall debates but proposes 2 with Trump earlier -Quantum Capital Pro
Ethermac Exchange-Biden won’t participate in nonpartisan commission’s fall debates but proposes 2 with Trump earlier
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 05:55:16
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Ethermac ExchangeWednesday said he will not participate in fall presidential debates sponsored by the nonpartisan commission that has organized them for more than three decades and instead proposed two debates with former President Donald Trump to be held earlier in the year.
Biden’s campaign proposed that the first debate between the presumptive Democratic and Republican nominees be held in late June and the second in September before early voting begins. Trump responded to the letter in an interview with Fox News digital, calling the proposed dates “fully acceptable to me” and joked about providing his own transportation.
Biden, in a post on X, the site formerly known as Twitter, sought to needle his rival, saying, “Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020, since then, he hasn’t shown up for a debate. Now he’s acting like he wants to debate me again. Well, make my day, pal.”
The Democrat suggested that the two candidates could pick some dates, taking a dig at Trump’s ongoing New York hush money trial by noting that the Republican is “free on Wednesdays,” the usual day off in the trial.
Biden campaign chair Jen O’Malley Dillon on Wednesday sent a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates to say that Biden would not participate in its announced debates, choosing instead to participate in debates hosted by news organizations. The Biden campaign objected to the fall dates selected by the commission — which come after some Americans begin to vote — repeating a complaint also raised by the Trump campaign.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Read the latest: Follow AP’s complete coverage of this year’s election.
Biden’s campaign has long-held a grudge against the nonpartisan commission for failing to evenly apply its rules during the 2020 Biden-Trump matchups — most notably when it didn’t enforce its COVID-19 testing rules on Trump and his entourage — and Biden’s team has held talks with television networks and some Republicans about ways to circumvent the commission’s grip on presidential debates.
The president first indicated he would be willing to debate Trump during an interview with the radio host Howard Stern last month, telling him that “I am, somewhere. I don’t know when. But I’m happy to debate him.”
Biden indicated again last week that he was preparing to debate, telling reporters as he was leaving a White House event: “Set it up.”
Trump has repeatedly dared Biden to debate him, keeping a second podium open at rallies and claiming that his rival would not be up for the task.
Trump, too, has taken issue with the debate commission, but he and his team have maintained that they don’t care who hosts the debates as long as they happen.
The Trump campaign issued a statement on May 1 that objected to the scheduled debates by the Commission on Presidential Debates, saying that the schedule “begins AFTER early voting” and that “this is unacceptable” because voters deserve to hear from the candidates before ballots are cast.
Trump said at a Pennsylvania rally before his hush money trial began that the debates were needed.
“We have to debate because our country is going in the wrong direction so badly,” Trump said with the empty podium next to him. “We have to explain to the American people what the hell is going on.”
veryGood! (17913)
Related
- Average rate on 30
- Police suspect carbon monoxide killed couple and their son in western Michigan
- US tensions with China are fraying long-cultivated academic ties. Will the chill hurt US interests?
- Hermès scion wants to leave fortune to his ex-gardener. These people also chose unexpected heirs.
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- EMU player sucker punches South Alabama player, ignites wild fight after 68 Ventures Bowl
- New Jersey man wins $1 million in Powerball, one number off from claiming $535 million jackpot
- Bah, Humbug! The Worst Christmas Movies of All-Time
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- 14 Biggest Bravo Bombshells and TV Moments of 2023
Ranking
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Colorado releases additional 5 gray wolves as part of reintroduction effort
- Brazil’s federal police arrest top criminal leader Zinho after negotiations
- We're Staging a Meet-Cute Between You and These 15 Secrets About The Holiday
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Florida State's lawsuit seeking ACC exit all about the fear of being left behind
- As it hypes ad-free quarter, let's revisit NBC's boldest NFL broadcast: a game without announcers
- Lululemon’s End of Year Scores Are Here With $39 Leggings, $39 Belt Bags, and More Must-Haves
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Prosecutors in Idaho request summer trial dates for man accused of killing 4 university students
Utah man is charged with killing 2-year-old boy, and badly injuring his twin sister
A court in Romania rejects Andrew Tate’s request to visit his ailing mother in the UK
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Some 300 Indian travelers are sequestered in a French airport in a human trafficking probe
Banksy stop sign in London nabbed with bolt cutters an hour after its reveal
San Francisco jury finds homeless man not guilty in beating of businessman left with brain injury