Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|Another ex-player is alleging Blackhawks’ former video coach sexually assaulted him in 2009-10 -Quantum Capital Pro
SafeX Pro Exchange|Another ex-player is alleging Blackhawks’ former video coach sexually assaulted him in 2009-10
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 06:53:02
CHICAGO (AP) — A former hockey player in the Chicago Blackhawks organization has alleged in a lawsuit the team’s former video coach sexually assaulted him during the 2009-10 season and SafeX Pro Exchangethe Blackhawks responded inadequately to his complaint because it didn’t want a disruption during its Stanley Cup run.
The Chicago Tribune reported Sunday the law firm of Romanucci & Blandin filed the lawsuit Thursday on behalf of their client, listed as “John Doe,” in Cook County Circuit Court. The Associated Press was unable to reach a representative from the law firm.
The newspaper reported the plaintiff was a member of the Blackhawks’ “Black Aces” squad, which was made up of minor-league players who traveled with the NHL team during the playoffs to fill in in case of injuries.
One of the player’s “Black Aces” teammates was Kyle Beach, who reached a settlement with the Blackhawks in December 2021 after alleging he was sexually assaulted by then-video coach Brad Aldrich.
The lawsuit filed last week raises similar allegations against Aldrich and said the Blackhawks showed “utter indifference and/or conscious disregard for the safety of its employees, including John Doe.”
The Blackhawks, in a statement to the Tribune, declined to comment on the specifics of the latest lawsuit. They said they take allegations of workplace misconduct seriously and noted that two years ago they initiated an independent investigation into the events of 2010.
“We’ve changed as a result of what happened and implemented numerous positive improvements throughout our organization to ensure the safety and well-being of our players and employees,” the team said. “This includes completely rebuilding the leadership team with personnel who demonstrate our values and bring the right subject matter expertise in the critical areas of compliance and human resources, an expansive mental health program, and new reporting mechanisms and training for all employees.”
Attorney Antonio Romanucci told the Tribune that the lawsuits seeks to ensure teams remain accountable.
“We have a specific mission in mind, certainly that the Blackhawks remain accountable for the changes that they have promised that they have put in place with regard to prevention of these sexual abuses,” he said. “But we also want to make sure that all teams around the country are on notice that this is not acceptable behavior. Putting winning before the mental health or even physical health of players, that’s over. Hard stop.”
The lawsuit filed last week alleges Aldrich invited “Black Aces” players to his home under the guise of discussing hockey strategy but later attempted to make players watch pornographic movies with him. Aldrich is accused of offering to perform oral sex on “John Doe” and of approaching him from behind and pushing his penis against the back and buttocks of “Doe” through his clothes.
Aldrich allegedly used threats to dissuade the player from reporting Aldrich’s alleged conduct.
Aldrich in December 2013 pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct in a case involving a 16-year-old high school hockey player in Michigan. Prosecutors dropped a felony count. Aldrich was released from jail in 2014.
___
AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/nhl
veryGood! (83268)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Fifth Gilgo Beach victim identified as Karen Vergata, police say
- A crash involving a freight train and a car kills 3 people in Oregon
- North Dakota lawmakers eye Minnesota free tuition program that threatens enrollment
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Tom Brady Makes a Surprise Soccer Announcement on His 46th Birthday
- US Rep. Manning, of North Carolina, is injured in car accident and released from hospital
- Are time limits at restaurants a reasonable new trend or inhospitable experience? | Column
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- A dancer is fatally stabbed after a confrontation in New York, prompting a tribute from Beyoncé
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Influencer Andrew Tate released from house arrest while he awaits human trafficking and rape trial
- Kate Spade 24-Hour Deal: Get a $140 Wristlet for Just $29
- Doja Cat Will Headline the Victoria’s Secret World Tour: All the Fashion Show Details
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs to $1.25 billion ahead of Friday night drawing
- James Barnes, Florida man who dropped appeals, executed for 1988 hammer killing of nurse
- Celtics' Larry Bird steps up in Lakers' 'Winning Time': Meet the actor playing the NBA legend
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Loved 'Oppenheimer?' This film tells the shocking true story of a Soviet spy at Los Alamos
Authorities to announce new break in long investigation of Gilgo Beach killings
Man who broke into women's homes and rubbed their feet while they slept arrested
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Cardi B's alleged microphone from viral video could raise $100k for charity
Russia to announce a verdict in Navalny case; the Kremlin critic expects a lengthy prison term
North Dakota regulators deny siting permit for Summit carbon dioxide pipeline