Current:Home > reviewsNews organizations seek unsealing of plea deal with 9/11 defendants -Quantum Capital Pro
News organizations seek unsealing of plea deal with 9/11 defendants
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 07:07:04
WASHINGTON (AP) — Seven news organizations filed a legal motion Friday asking the U.S. military commission at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to make public the plea agreement that prosecutors struck with alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and two fellow defendants.
The plea agreements, filed early last month and promptly sealed, triggered objections from Republican lawmakers and families of some of the nearly 3,000 people killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, al-Qaida attacks. The controversy grew when Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced days later he was revoking the deal, the product of two years of negotiations among government prosecutors and defense attorneys that were overseen by Austin’s department.
Austin’s move caused upheaval in the pretrial hearings now in their second decade at Guantanamo, leading the three defendants to suspend participation in any further pretrial hearings. Their lawyers pursued new complaints that Austin’s move was illegal and amounted to unlawful interference by him and the GOP lawmakers.
Seven news organizations — Fox News, NBC, NPR, The Associated Press, The New York Times, The Washington Post and Univision — filed the claim with the military commission. It argues that the Guantanamo court had failed to establish any significant harm to U.S. government interests from allowing the public to know terms of the agreement.
The public’s need to know what is in the sealed records “has only been heightened as the Pretrial Agreements have become embroiled in political controversy,” lawyers for the news organizations argued in Friday’s motion. “Far from threatening any compelling government interest, public access to these records will temper rampant speculation and accusation.”
The defendants’ legal challenges to Austin’s actions and government prosecutors’ response to those also remain under seal.
The George W. Bush administration set up the military commission at the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo after the 2001 attacks. The 9/11 case remains in pretrial hearings after more than a decade, as judges, the government and defense attorneys hash out the extent to which the defendants’ torture during years in CIA custody after their capture has rendered evidence legally inadmissible. Staff turnover and the court’s distance from the U.S. also have slowed proceedings.
Members of the press and public must travel to Guantanamo to watch the trial, or to military installations in the U.S. to watch by remote video. Court filings typically are sealed indefinitely for security reviews that search for any classified information.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- An aid group says artillery fire killed 11 and injured 90 in a Sudanese city
- The 2024 Girl Scout cookie season will march on without popular Raspberry Rally cookies
- Louisiana Republicans are in court to fight efforts to establish new Black congressional district
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Jason Derulo Deeply Offended by Defamatory Claims in Emaza Gibson's Sexual Harassment Lawsuit
- Jay Cutler Debuts New Romance With Samantha Robertson 3 Years After Kristin Cavallari Breakup
- Troopers who fatally shot 'Cop City' protester near Atlanta won't face charges
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Milton from 'Love is Blind' says Uche's claims about Lydia 'had no weight on my relationship'
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Dancing With the Stars' Mark Ballas and Wife BC Jean Share Miscarriage Story in Moving Song
- Trump campaign says he raised $45.5 million in 3rd quarter, tripling DeSantis' fundraisng
- 'Brooklyn Crime Novel' explores relationships among the borough's cultures and races
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- AI was asked to create images of Black African docs treating white kids. How'd it go?
- Trump campaign says he raised $45.5 million in 3rd quarter, tripling DeSantis' fundraisng
- NFL Week 5 picks: 49ers host Cowboys in what could be (another) playoff preview
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Man encouraged by a chatbot to assassinate Queen Elizabeth II sentenced to 9 years in prison
DJ Moore might be 'pissed' after huge night, but Chicago Bears couldn't be much happier
U.S. rape suspect Nicholas Alahverdian, who allegedly faked his death, set to be extradited from U.K.
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
'This Book Is Banned' introduces little kids to a big topic
Ex-lover of Spain’s former king loses $153 million harassment lawsuit in London court
Lebanese army rescues over 100 migrants whose boat ran into trouble in the Mediterranean