Current:Home > MyBenjamin Ashford|Florida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult -Quantum Capital Pro
Benjamin Ashford|Florida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:34:32
The Benjamin Ashford17-year-old suspect in a shooting last week that killed two people and injured eight during Halloween celebrations in downtown Orlando, Florida, has been charged as an adult, authorities said.
Jaylen Dwayne Edgar was charged as an adult with two counts of second-degree murder with a firearm and one count of attempted murder with a firearm, State Attorney Andrew Bain said Monday. The case will be presented to a grand jury, which could decide to elevate the charges to first-degree murder, Bain said.
Edgar will face additional charges as the investigation continues, authorities said.
"This decision was not made lightly and only after a review of all available evidence," Bain said in a statement Monday. "I have personally reviewed all available records and video evidence in this case and there is no question this individual should be charged as an adult."
The Orlando Police Department estimated about 75,000 people were gathered in downtown Orlando to celebrate Halloween last week when gunfire broke out overnight. Early Friday, two people were killed and seven were wounded by gunfire, authorities said.
Another person was hospitalized after being trampled on while trying to run to safety, Bain said. The victims were ages 19 to 39, according to Orlando Police Chief Eric Smith.
Bain said responding police officers immediately identified Edgar as the gunman and "took him into custody moments after the shooting." Prosecutors were working with the Orlando Police Department and have asked the public to submit any videos or pictures from the night of the shooting.
"To shoot into a massive crowd like that shows a total disregard for life and the only recourse is to charge the defendant as an adult because it fits the egregious nature of the crime," Bain said in the statement.
'Troubling trends':Guns remain leading cause of death for children and teens in the US, report says
What happened in the downtown Orlando shooting?
According to Smith, officers responded to shots fired around 1 a.m. Friday in the area of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue before police witnessed a second shooting about a block away,
A total of nine people were hit by gunfire, in which two were pronounced dead, according to police. The six victims who were wounded were taken to the Orlando Regional Medical Center and were in stable condition, Smith said.
Another person who suffered a gunshot wound took herself to a local hospital, police said.
Police released surveillance and body-camera footage showing a crowd of thousands of people in the streets when the suspect opened fire, causing chaos as people fled. Within seconds, at least eight officers surrounded the person who was shot.
A few minutes later, footage captured the suspect rushing through the crowd before additional shots were fired. Officers apprehended the suspect when he tried to leave the scene.
Authorities said the shooting occurred on one of the city's busiest nights of the year as tens of thousands of people gathered to celebrate Halloween. About 100 officers were in the area at the time to provide security, Smith said.
The incident was the latest mass shooting in the United States. At least 445 mass shootings have occurred this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit organization that defines mass shootings as incidents involving four or more victims.
Contributing: Gabe Hauari and Christopher Cann, USA TODAY; C.A. Bridges, USA TODAY NETWORK - Florida
veryGood! (476)
Related
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Bank of England is set to hold interest rates at a 15-year high despite worries about the economy
- Bank of England is set to hold interest rates at a 15-year high despite worries about the economy
- Artificial intelligence is not a silver bullet
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Amazon, Target and Walmart to stop selling potentially deadly water beads marketed to kids
- Whoopi Goldberg receives standing ovation from 'The Color Purple' cast on 'The View': Watch
- Drive a Tesla? Here's what to know about the latest Autopilot recall.
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- A Buc-ee's monument, in gingerbread form: How a Texas couple recreated the beloved pitstop
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Men charged with illegal killing of 3,600 birds, including bald and golden eagles to sell
- Discovery inside unearthed bottle would’ve shocked the scientist who buried it in 1879
- The Shohei Ohani effect: Jersey sales, ticket prices soar after signing coveted free agent
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- War crimes court upholds the conviction of a former Kosovo Liberation Army commander
- Virginia 4th graders fall ill after eating gummy bears contaminated with fentanyl
- Amazon won’t have to pay hundreds of millions in back taxes after winning EU case
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Thieves argued they should face lesser charge because their stolen goods were on sale
With a rising death toll, Kenya's military evacuates people from flood-hit areas
Updating the 'message in a bottle' to aliens: Do we need a new Golden Record?
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Men charged with illegal killing of 3,600 birds, including bald and golden eagles to sell
The Shohei Ohani effect: Jersey sales, ticket prices soar after signing coveted free agent
Female soccer fans in Iran allowed into Tehran stadium for men’s game. FIFA head praises progress