Current:Home > InvestLegendary U.S. World War II submarine located 3,000 feet underwater off the Philippines -Quantum Capital Pro
Legendary U.S. World War II submarine located 3,000 feet underwater off the Philippines
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 06:04:27
The final resting place of an iconic U.S. Navy submarine that was sunk 80 years ago during World War II was located 3,000 feet below the ocean's surface, the Naval History and Heritage Command said Thursday.
The USS Harder – which earned the nickname "Hit 'em HARDER" – was found off the Philippine island of Luzon, sitting upright and "relatively intact" except for damage behind its conning tower from a Japanese depth charge, the command said. The sub was discovered using data collected by Tim Taylor, CEO of the Lost 52 Project, which works to locate the 52 submarines sunk during World War II.
The USS Harder, led by famed Cmdr. Samuel D. Dealey, earned a legendary reputation during its fifth patrol when it sunk three destroyers and heavily damaged two others in just four days, forcing a Japanese fleet to leave the area ahead of schedule, the command said. That early departure forced the Japanese commander to delay his carrier force in the Philippine Sea, which ultimately led to Japan being defeated in the ensuing battle.
But Harder's fortunes changed in late August 1944. Early on Aug. 22, Harder and USS Haddo destroyed three escort ships off the coast of Bataan. Joined by USS Hake later that night, the three vessels headed for Caiman Point, Luzon, before Haddo left to replenish its torpedo stockpile. Before dawn on Aug. 24, Hake sighted an enemy escort ship and patrol boat and plunged deep into the ocean to escape.
Japanese records later revealed Harder fired three times at the Japanese escort ship, but it evaded the torpedoes and began a series of depth charge attacks, sinking Harder and killing all 79 crewmembers.
The "excellent state of preservation of the site" and the quality of the data collected by Lost 52 allowed the Navy's History and Heritage Command to confirm the wreck was indeed Harder.
"Harder was lost in the course of victory. We must not forget that victory has a price, as does freedom," said NHHC Director Samuel J. Cox, U.S. Navy rear admiral (retired). "We are grateful that Lost 52 has given us the opportunity to once again honor the valor of the crew of the 'Hit 'em HARDER' submarine that sank the most Japanese warships – in particularly audacious attacks – under her legendary skipper, Cmdr. Sam Dealey."
Harder received the Presidential Unit Citation for her first five patrols and six battle stars for World War II service, and Cmdr. Dealey was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. During his career, Dealey also received a Navy Cross, two Gold Stars, and the Distinguished Service Cross.
Taylor, the Lost 52 Project CEO, previously located other submarines lost during World War II, including the USS Grayback, USS Stickleback, and USS Grunion. Taylor received a Distinguished Public Service Award from the Navy in 2021 for his work.
The Naval History and Heritage Command said the SS Harder wreck "represents the final resting place of sailors that gave their life in defense of the nation and should be respected by all parties as a war grave."
Other famed warships have been found in the waters off the Phillipines. In 2015, U.S. billionaire Paul Allen located the wreck of the Musashi, one of the two largest Japanese warships ever built, in the Philippines' Sibuyan Sea.
Last September, deep-sea explorers captured images of three shipwrecks from World War II's Battle of Midway, including the first up-close photos of a Japanese aircraft carrier since it sank during the historic battle in 1942.
- In:
- World War II
- Submarine
- Navy
- Philippines
Stephen Smith is a managing editor for CBSNews.com based in New York. A Washington, D.C. native, Steve was previously an editorial producer for the Washington Post, and has also worked in Los Angeles, Boston and Tokyo.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- US Olympic track and field trials: Winners and losers from final 4 days
- After 32 years as a progressive voice for LGBTQ Jews, Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum heads into retirement
- Federal judge halts Mississippi law requiring age verification for websites
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- 'Now or never': Bruce Bochy's Texas Rangers in danger zone for World Series defense
- Redbox owner Chicken Soup for the Soul files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- Hurricane Beryl makes landfall as extremely dangerous Category 4 storm lashing Caribbean islands
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Sophia Bush, Cynthia Erivo and More Show Amber Ruffin Love After She Comes Out During Pride Month
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- 'House of the Dragon' tragic twins get burial by chocolate with cake used for dirt
- Former Missouri prison guards plead not guilty to murder in death of Black man
- Zayn Malik Shares Daughter Khai's Sweet Reaction to Learning He's a Singer
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Family fights for justice and a new law after murder of UFC star's stepdaughter
- Internet-famous stingray Charlotte dies of rare reproductive disease, aquarium says
- Redbox owner Chicken Soup for the Soul files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
Recommendation
US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
Soleil Moon Frye pays sweet tribute to late ex-boyfriend Shifty Shellshock
Man shot after fights break out at Washington Square Park
Over 100 stranded Dolphins in Cape Cod are now free, rescue teams say − for now
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Mbappé and France into Euro 2024 quarterfinals after Muani’s late goal beats Belgium 1-0
Man shot after fights break out at Washington Square Park
Sheriff suspends bid for US House seat once held by ex-Speaker McCarthy