Current:Home > MyGerman police say 26-year-old man has turned himself in, claiming to be behind Solingen knife attack -Quantum Capital Pro
German police say 26-year-old man has turned himself in, claiming to be behind Solingen knife attack
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 06:34:19
SOLINGEN, Germany (AP) — A 26-year-old man turned himself into police, saying he was responsible for the Solingen knife attack that left three dead and eight wounded at a festival marking the city’s 650th anniversary, German authorities announced early Sunday.
Duesseldorf police said in a joint statement with the prosecutor’s office that the man “stated that he was responsible for the attack.”
“This person’s involvement in the crime is currently being intensively investigated,” the statement said.
The suspect is a Syrian citizen who had applied for asylum in Germany, police confirmed to The Associated Press.
On Saturday the Islamic State militant group claimed responsibility for the attack, without providing evidence. The extremist group said on its news site that the attacker targeted Christians and that he carried out the assaults Friday night “to avenge Muslims in Palestine and everywhere.” The claim couldn’t be independently verified.
The attack comes amid debate over immigration ahead of regional elections next Sunday in Germany’s Saxony and Thueringia regions where anti-immigration parties such as the populist Alternative for Germany are expected to do well. In June, Chancellor Olaf Scholz vowed that the country would start deporting criminals from Afghanistan and Syria again after a knife attack by an Afghan immigrant left one police officer dead and four more people injured.
On Saturday, a synagogue in France was targeted in an arson attack. French police said they made an arrest early Sunday.
Friday’s attack plunged the city of Solingen into shock and grief. A city of about 160,000 residents near the bigger cities of Cologne and Duesseldorf, Solingen was holding a “Festival of Diversity” to celebrate its anniversary.
The festival began Friday and was supposed to run through Sunday, with several stages in central streets offering attractions such as live music, cabaret and acrobatics. The attack took place in front of one stage.
The festival was canceled as police looked for clues in the cordoned-off square.
Instead residents gathered to mourn the dead and injured, placing flowers and notes near the scene of the attack.
“Warum?” asked one sign placed amid candles and teddy bears. Why?
Among those asking themselves the question was 62-year-old Cord Boetther, a merchant fron Solingen.
“Why does something like this have to be done? It’s incomprehensible and it hurts,” Boetther said.
Officials had earlier said a 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion he knew about the planned attack and failed to inform authorities, but that he was not the attacker. Two female witnesses told police they overheard the boy and an unknown person before the attack speaking about intentions that corresponded to the bloodshed, officials said.
People alerted police shortly after 9:30 p.m. local time Friday that a man had assaulted several people with a knife on the city’s central square, the Fronhof. The three people killed were two men aged 67 and 56 and a 56-year-old woman, authorities said. Police said the attacker appeared to have deliberately aimed for his victims’ throats.
The IS militant group declared its caliphate in large parts of Iraq and Syria about a decade ago, but now holds no control over any land and has lost many prominent leaders. The group is mostly out of global news headlines.
Still, it continues to recruit members and claim responsibility for deadly attacks around the world, including lethal operations in Iran and Russia earlier this year that killed dozens of people. Its sleeper cells in Syria and Iraq still carry out attacks on government forces in both countries as well as U.S.-backed Syrian fighters.
——
McHugh contributed from Frankfurt, Germany.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Court orders Texas to move floating buoy barrier that drew backlash from Mexico
- A look inside the United States' first-ever certified Blue Zone located in Minnesota
- Amanda Knox Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 2 With Husband Christopher Robinson
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Watch this deer, who is literally on thin ice, get help from local firefighters
- 15 abandoned dogs rescued from stolen U-Haul at Oregon truck stop, police say
- Returns are so costly for retailers, some are telling customers to keep unwanted goods
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Hot Holiday Party Dresses Under $100 From H&M, Anthropologie & More
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Pakistan’s supreme court hears petition against forceful deportation of Afghans born in the country
- Indiana coroner identifies remains of teen girl found buried on land of man charged in her death
- Felicity Huffman Breaks Silence on 2019 College Admissions Scandal
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- 2 Nevada State Troopers killed in hit-and-run while helping motorist on Las Vegas freeway, authorities say
- Powell says Fed could raise rates further if inflation doesn't continue to ease
- Pet wolf hybrid attacks, kills 3-month old baby in Alabama
Recommendation
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Philippine troops kill 11 Islamic militants in one of bloodiest anti-insurgency offensives this year
Beyoncé drops new song 'My House' with debut of 'Renaissance' film: Stream
A teenage girl who says she discovered a camera in an airplane bathroom is suing American Airlines
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Israeli survivors of the Oct. 7 music festival attack seek to cope with trauma at a Cyprus retreat
This week on Sunday Morning (December 3)
Guatemalan electoral magistrates leave the country hours after losing immunity from prosecution