Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Millionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving -Quantum Capital Pro
Johnathan Walker:Millionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 10:02:37
OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush,Johnathan Walker the owner and pilot of the doomed Titan sub, had offered millionaire Jay Bloom and his son discounted tickets to ride on it, and claimed it was safer than crossing the street, a Facebook post from Bloom said. The sub suffered a "catastrophic implosion" on its dive to view the Titanic earlier this week, killing Rush and the other four people on board.
On Thursday, just hours after the Coast Guard announced that the wreckage of the sub had been found, Bloom, a Las Vegas investor, revealed texts he had exchanged with Rush in the months leading up to the trip.
In one text conversation in late April, Rush reduced the price of the tickets from $250,000 to $150,000 per person to ride the submersible on a trip scheduled for May. As Bloom contemplated the offer, his son Sean raised safety concerns over the sub, while Rush — who once said he'd "broken some rules" in its design — tried to assure them.
"While there's obviously risk it's way safer than flying a helicopter or even scuba diving," Rush wrote, according to a screen shot of the text exchange posted by Bloom.
Bloom said that in a previous in-person meeting with Rush, they'd discussed the dive and its safety.
"I am sure he really believed what he was saying. But he was very wrong," Bloom wrote, adding, "He was absolutely convinced that it was safer than crossing the street."
Ultimately, the May trip was delayed until Father's Day weekend in June, and Bloom decided not to go.
"I told him that due to scheduling we couldn't go until next year," Bloom wrote. "Our seats went to Shahzada Dawood and his 19 year old son, Suleman Dawood, two of the other three who lost their lives on this excursion (the fifth being Hamish Harding)."
Bloom wasn't the only one who backed out of the trip. Chris Brown, a friend of Harding and self-described "modern explorer," told CNN earlier this week he decided to not go because it "seemed to have too many risks out of my control" and didn't come across as a "professional diving operation." David Concannon, an Idaho-based attorney and a consultant for OceanGate Expeditions, said over Facebook that he canceled due to an "urgent client matter."
The U.S. Coast Guard said it would continue its investigation of the debris from the sub, found near the Titanic shipwreck site, to try to determine more about how and when it imploded.
Industry experts and a former employee's lawsuit had raised serious safety concerns about OceanGate's operation years before the sub's disappearance. In 2018, a professional trade group warned that OceanGate's experimental approach to the design of the Titan could lead to potentially "catastrophic" outcomes, according to a letter from the group obtained by CBS News.
"Titanic" director James Cameron, an experienced deep-sea explorer who has been to the wreckage site more than 30 times, said that "OceanGate shouldn't have been doing what it was doing."
- In:
- RMS Titanic
- OceanGate
Christopher Brito is a social media manager and trending content writer for CBS News.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Take Your July 4th Party From meh to HELL YEAH With These Essentials
- 'Only by God's mercy that I survived': Hajj became a death march for 1,300 in extreme heat
- The Real World's Sarah Becker Dead at 52
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Meet Cancer, the Zodiac's emotional chatterbox: The sign's personality traits, months
- New Mexico governor says two years after Roe was overturned that there are more abortions happening because more women are at risk
- In the race to replace Sen. Romney, Utah weighs a Trump loyalist and a climate-focused congressman
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Angel Reese leads Sky to 88-87 win over Fever despite Caitlin Clark’s franchise-record 13 assists
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Is Trump shielded from criminal charges as an ex-president? A nation awaits word from Supreme Court
- Real Housewives of New Jersey's Melissa Gorga's Summer Essentials Include a Must-Have Melasma Hack
- Is Trump shielded from criminal charges as an ex-president? A nation awaits word from Supreme Court
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- New Mexico heavy rain and flash flooding prompt mandatory evacuations in Las Vegas
- Family of Massachusetts teen John McCabe searches for justice in 1969 murder
- 2028 LA Olympics: Track going before swimming will allow Games to start 'with a bang'
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Teen charged with murder in death of 7-year-old Chicago boy struck by random gunfire
‘Everything is at stake’ for reproductive rights in 2024, Harris says as Biden-Trump debate nears
Alyson Stoner Addresses Whether They Actually Wanted to Be a Child Star
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
New photo of Prince William with his children released to mark his birthday
Search underway for 2 teens missing in the water of New York City beach
Edmonton Oilers look to join rare company by overcoming 3-0 deficit vs. Florida Panthers