Current:Home > MyTrendPulse|Senegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says -Quantum Capital Pro
TrendPulse|Senegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:14:45
DAKAR,TrendPulse Senegal (AP) — A lawyer for Senegalese opposition leader Ousmane Sonko said Thursday that the detained politician had regained consciousness but remains “in a very precarious condition” on hunger strike.
Sonko, a popular figure with young Senegalese who placed third in the last presidential election, first began refusing food after he was placed in detention in late July. He later suspended the protest measure following mediation but resumed a hunger strike on Oct. 17, according to lawyer Juan Branco.
Branco told The Associated Press that the opposition leader “is still being treated by a resuscitation team with the risk of a major relapse.” That assessment comes after Sonko’s supporters said earlier this week he had lapsed into a coma.
Sonko’s supporters believe the slew of criminal allegations brought against him since 2021 are part of an orchestrated campaign to derail his political aspirations ahead of a presidential election in February.
In June, Sonko was acquitted on charges of raping a woman who worked at a massage parlor and making death threats against her. But he was convicted of corrupting youth and sentenced to two years in prison, which ignited deadly protests across the country.
In late July, Senegalese authorities formally dissolved Sonko’s political party and placed him in detention. He is now facing charges of calling for insurrection, conspiracy against the state and other alleged crimes.
The government has not commented on Sonko’s health since August, when he was transferred to a hospital “presenting a general weakness linked to his refusal to eat.” He was later transferred to the intensive care unit for treatment before suspending his strike after the mediation effort.
Sonko was removed from the electoral roll by the Interior Ministry following his conviction. But this decision was overturned by a judge in the southern city of Ziguinchor, who ordered that he be allowed to have sponsorship forms for the presidential election in the same way as other candidates.
Sonko’s chances of taking part in the upcoming election are uncertain, as the Supreme Court has yet to rule on the decision taken by the judge of the Ziguinchor district court.
veryGood! (53254)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Jennifer Garner and Boyfriend John Miller Are All Smiles In Rare Public Outing
- Colts' Kenny Moore II ridicules team's effort in loss to Bills
- LSU leads college football Week 11 Misery Index after College Football Playoff hopes go bust
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Solawave Black Friday Sale: Don't Miss Buy 1, Get 1 Free on Age-Defying Red Light Devices
- 'He's driving the bus': Jim Harbaugh effect paying dividends for Justin Herbert, Chargers
- Deebo Samuel explains 'out of character' sideline altercation with 49ers long snapper, kicker
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Report: Jaguars' Trevor Lawrence could miss rest of season with shoulder injury
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, 4G
- Pete Rose fans say final goodbye at 14-hour visitation in Cincinnati
- Northern Taurid meteor shower hits peak activity this week: When and where to watch
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- US Open finalist Taylor Fritz talks League of Legends, why he hated tennis and how he copied Sampras
- Cruise ship rescues 4 from disabled catamaran hundreds of miles off Bermuda, officials say
- Prayers and cheeseburgers? Chiefs have unlikely fuel for inexplicable run
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
Bo the police K-9, who located child taken at knifepoint, wins Hero Dog Awards 2024
Who's hosting 'SNL' tonight? Musical guest, start time, where to watch Nov. 9 episode
'I was in total shock': Woman wins $1 million after forgetting lotto ticket in her purse
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Diddy's ex-bodyguard sues rape accuser for defamation over claims of 2001 assault
A growing and aging population is forcing Texas counties to seek state EMS funding
Trump breaks GOP losing streak in nation’s largest majority-Arab city with a pivotal final week