Current:Home > MyTrendPulse|DOJ paying nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse in settlement -Quantum Capital Pro
TrendPulse|DOJ paying nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse in settlement
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 06:34:25
The TrendPulseDepartment of Justice announced Tuesday that it will pay nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse as part of a settlement stemming from the FBI's mishandling of the initial allegations.
USA TODAY Sports and The Wall Street Journal first reported last week that a settlement had been agreed upon and would stretch into nine figures. The Department of Justice specified in a news release that an amount of $138.7 million will be distributed to a group of 139 victims − working out to roughly $1 million per claimant, on average.
"These allegations should have been taken seriously from the outset," acting associate attorney general Benjamin Mizer said in a statement. "While these settlements won’t undo the harm Nassar inflicted, our hope is that they will help give the victims of his crimes some of the critical support they need to continue healing."
Olympic champions Simone Biles, McKayla Maroney and Aly Raisman were among the more than 100 victims who filed claims with the Department of Justice in 2022, roughly a year after the release of a report by the department's inspector general. The report found that FBI officials in Indianapolis failed to respond to allegations of abuse they received involving Nassar "with the utmost seriousness and urgency" in 2015, a delay that allowed the abuse to continue.
Nassar, the former U.S. women's national gymnastics team doctor and Michigan State employee, was found to have sexually assaulted more than 500 women and girls under the guise of providing medical treatment. He is now serving what will amount to a lifetime prison sentence on sexual assault and child pornography charges.
The victims who filed administrative claims with the Justice Department are represented by a large, disparate group of attorneys. But four of those attorneys, who represent 77 of the 139 claimants, described the settlement in a statement Tuesday as "monumental."
"We are proud to have achieved a monumental settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice, that not only secures the recovery the survivors deserve but also holds the DOJ and FBI accountable for their failures," Thomas Behm, Megan Bonanni, Mick Grewal and Michael Pitt said in a joint statement.
"We hope this serves as a lesson for federal law enforcement and they make the changes necessary to prevent anything like this from happening again."
Tuesday's settlement brings the combined liability payouts in legal cases brought by victims of Nassar's abuse to more than $1 billion. Michigan State agreed to distribute $500 million to survivors, while USA Gymnastics reached a separate settlement with them worth $380 million.
Contact Tom Schad at [email protected] or on social media @Tom_Schad.
veryGood! (254)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Pakistan’s thrice-elected, self-exiled former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif returns home ahead of vote
- ACTORS STRIKE PHOTOS: See images from the 100 days film and TV actors have been picketing
- Jose Altuve’s home run gives Astros wild win as benches clear in ALCS Game 5 vs. Rangers
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Jose Altuve’s home run gives Astros wild win as benches clear in ALCS Game 5 vs. Rangers
- Brian Kelly earns $500,000 bonus with Army win that makes LSU bowl-eligible
- Restricted rights put Afghan women and girls in a ‘deadly situation’ during quakes, UN official says
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Tesla recall: Nearly 55,000 new-model vehicles affected by brake safety issue
Ranking
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- The IRS will soon set new tax brackets for 2024. Here's what that means for your money.
- EU and US envoys urge Kosovo and Serbia to resume dialogue to ease soaring tension
- Kenneth Chesebro, Trump co-defendant in Georgia 2020 election case, pleads guilty
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Michigan State apologizes for 'inappropriate content' after Hitler featured in scoreboard trivia
- North Dakota governor asks Legislature to reconsider his $91M income tax cut plan
- Powerful gusts over Cape Cod as New Englanders deal with another washed-out weekend
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Inside the Wild Search for Corrections Officer Vicky White After She Ended Up on the Run With an Inmate
Supreme Court pauses limits on Biden administration's contact with social media firms, agrees to take up case
Vanna White Shares Rare Photo With Boyfriend John Donaldson
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Ex-Philadelphia police officer sentenced to 15 to 40 years after guilty pleas in sex assault cases
Cyprus police arrest 4 people after a small explosion near the Israeli Embassy
Violence forced them to flee. Now faith sustains these migrants on their journey to the US