Current:Home > MarketsChinese coast guard claims to have chased away Philippine navy ship from South China Sea shoal -Quantum Capital Pro
Chinese coast guard claims to have chased away Philippine navy ship from South China Sea shoal
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 04:21:23
BEIJING (AP) — China’s coast guard claimed Tuesday to have chased a Philippine navy ship from a disputed shoal in the South China Sea as tensions between the two countries over rich fishing areas escalate.
Coast guard spokesman Gan Yu said the Philippine ship had sailed into waters next to the Scarborough Shoal, which China calls Huangyan Island, and ignored “multiple calls” to turn back.
“The Chinese coast guard took necessary measures to expel the Philippine ship in accordance with the law, such as following it and forcing it out and controlling its route,” Gan said.
In Manila, the Philippines’ military chief of staff, Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr., said authorities were still looking into the alleged incident but think it was more likely “propaganda from the Chinese” than an actual confrontation.
“If we ever have a ship there, we will not agree to be driven away (from our) exclusive economic zone,” Brawner told reporters. “It’s our right to make sure that our fishermen can fish in our economic zone.”
The Scarborough Shoal lies within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone, just west of the country’s main Luzon Island. It has been occupied by China since 2012 as part of an Beijing’s push to lay claim to almost the entire South China Sea, which has also sparked disputes with Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan.
The conflicts have long been regarded as a potential Asian flash point and a delicate fault line in the United States-China rivalry in the region.
Washington has no claims of its own, but U.S. Navy ships and fighter jets have carried out patrols for decades to challenge China’s expansive claims and promote freedom of navigation in the important waterway.
Last month, China’s coast guard laid down a 300-meter (980-foot) -long floating barrier to block the entrance to the Scarborough Shoal lagoon to prevent Filipino boats from entering.
A few days later, the Philippine coast guard, acting on orders directly from President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., covertly removed the barrier, infuriating China.
Gan, the spokesman for China’s coast guard, insisted that “China has indisputable sovereignty over Huangyan Island and its adjacent waters,” and that chasing away the Philippine ship on Tuesday was “legitimate and legal.”
“The Philippines’ actions infringe on China’s sovereignty and seriously violate international law and basic norms of international relations,” he said. “We urge the Philippines to immediately stop its infringement.”
Under Marcos, who took office last year, the Philippines has intensified efforts to push back against China’s increasingly assertive actions.
Following the incident with the barrier, Philippine military authorities said there was a concern that the Chinese coast guard may attempt to install a similar floating blockade at the entrance to the Second Thomas Shoal. It is several hundred kilometers (miles) southwest of the Scarborough Shoal and is occupied by a small Philippine navy contingent on a long-grounded warship but has been surrounded by Chinese coast guard ships.
Last week a Chinese coast guard ship came within a meter (3 feet) of colliding with a Philippine patrol ship off the Second Thomas Shoal, prompting strong condemnation from Manila.
On Tuesday, the Philippines said a senior diplomat had witnessed the incident from aboard a coast guard ship and that his “firsthand information will allow him to effectively convey our concerns to China.”
_____
Jim Gomez in Manila contributed to this story
veryGood! (97)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- 'The Super Models,' in their own words
- Tropical Storm Ophelia barrels across North Carolina with heavy rain and strong winds
- Germany considering short-term migration border controls with Poland and the Czech Republic
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- League of Legends, other esports join Asian Games in competition for the first time
- Judge hits 3 home runs, becomes first Yankees player to do it twice in one season
- Uganda’s president says airstrikes killed ‘a lot’ of rebels with ties to Islamic State in Congo
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- U.S. Housing Crisis Thwarts Recruitment for Nature-Based Infrastructure Projects
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Biden faces foreign policy trouble spots as he aims to highlight his experience on the global stage
- Norovirus in the wilderness? How an outbreak spread on the Pacific Crest Trail
- Europe claws back to tie 2023 Solheim Cup against Americans
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Ice pops cool down monkeys in Brazil at a Rio zoo during a rare winter heat wave
- iPhone 15 demand exceeds expectations, as consumers worldwide line up to buy
- After climate summit, California Gov. Gavin Newsom faces key decisions to reduce emissions back home
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
3-year-old boy found dead in Rio Grande renews worry, anger over US-Mexico border crossings
US diplomat says intelligence from ‘Five Eyes’ nations helped Canada to link India to Sikh’s killing
World's greatest whistler? California competition aims to crown champ this weekend
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
NCAA, conferences could be forced into major NIL change as lawsuit granted class-action status
Russian foreign minister lambastes the West but barely mentions Ukraine in UN speech
Bo Nix, No. 10 Oregon slam brakes on Coach Prime’s ‘Cinderella story’ with a 42-6 rout of Colorado