Current:Home > ContactSteward Health Care files a lawsuit against a US Senate panel over contempt resolution -Quantum Capital Pro
Steward Health Care files a lawsuit against a US Senate panel over contempt resolution
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:05:21
BOSTON (AP) — Steward Health Care CEO Ralph de la Torre filed a lawsuit Monday against a U.S. Senate committee that pursued contempt charges against him for failing to appear before the panel despite being issued a subpoena.
The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Washington, named nearly all members of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, including Sen. Bernie Sanders, who chairs the committee which has investigated Steward’s bankruptcy.
The lawsuit claims that the lawmakers are unlawfully violating de la Torre’s constitutional rights.
It alleges that the members of the committee, by trying to compel de la Torre to answer questions about Steward’s bankruptcy, are “collectively undertaking a concerted effort to punish Dr. de la Torre for invoking his Fifth Amendment right not to ‘be compelled . . . to be a witness against himself.’”
De la Torre is asking the court to declare that all actions related to enforcement of the subpoena are invalid and unconstitutional — including the vote of the committee on Sept. 19 approving the criminal contempt resolution and its decision to present the resolution to the full Senate for a vote.
The Senate approved the resolution last week.
“No one can be compelled to testify when they exercise this right under these circumstances. Nor does the Constitution permit Congress to punish and intimidate him, or any other American, for exercising these rights,” William “Bill” Burck, a lawyer for de la Torre, said in a written statement.
The lawsuit comes a day before de la Torre is set to step down as CEO of Steward.
De la Torre has overseen Steward’s network of some 30 hospitals around the country. The Texas-based company’s troubled recent history has drawn scrutiny from elected officials in New England, where some of its hospitals are located.
A spokesperson for de la Torre said Saturday that he “has amicably separated from Steward on mutually agreeable terms” and “will continue to be a tireless advocate for the improvement of reimbursement rates for the underprivileged patient population.”
Sanders said earlier this month that Congress “will hold Dr. de la Torre accountable for his greed and for the damage he has caused to hospitals and patients throughout America.”
Steward has shut down pediatric wards in Massachusetts and Louisiana, closed neonatal units in Florida and Texas, and eliminated maternity services at a hospital in Florida.
Democratic Sen. Edward Markey of Massachusetts said that over the past decade, Steward, led by de la Torre, and its corporate enablers, “looted hospitals across the country for profit, and got rich through their greedy schemes.”
Alexander Merton, an attorney for de la Torre, has said the fault instead lies with “the systemic failures in Massachusetts’ health care system” and that the committee was trying to frame de la Torre as a criminal scapegoat. Merton has also said that de la Torre would agree to testify at a later date.
On Friday, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced her administration had formally seized a hospital through eminent domain to help keep it open and transition to a new owner. St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Boston was one of a group run by Steward. Operations will be transferred to Boston Medical Center.
Two other Steward-operated hospitals in Massachusetts were forced to close after qualified buyers could not be found during the bankruptcy process.
veryGood! (9225)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- Can you get the flu in the summer? Your guide to warm weather illnesses
- Armed bicyclist killed in Iowa shooting that wounded 2 police officers, investigators say
- “Always go out on top”: Texas A&M Chancellor John Sharp will retire June 2025
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Tour de France results, standings after Stage 3
- The ethical quandary facing the Supreme Court (and America)
- Here's how much Americans say they need to earn to feel financially secure
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Pregnant Hailey Bieber Reveals Her Simple Hack for Staying Cool in the Summer
Ranking
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Horoscopes Today, June 30, 2024
- Pride parades in photos: See how Pride Month 2024 is celebrated worldwide
- Are banks, post offices, UPS and FedEx open on July 4th? Here's what to know
- 'Most Whopper
- Hurricane Beryl takes aim at southeastern Caribbean as a powerful Category 3 storm
- Zayn Malik Shares Daughter Khai's Sweet Reaction to Learning He's a Singer
- White Nebraska man shoots and wounds 7 Guatemalan immigrant neighbors
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
After 32 years as a progressive voice for LGBTQ Jews, Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum heads into retirement
Early 2024 Amazon Prime Day Fitness Deals: Save Big on Leggings, Sports Bras, Water Bottles & More
Kelly Ripa Gives Mark Consuelos' Dramatic Hair Transformation a Handsy Seal of Approval
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Mbappé and France into Euro 2024 quarterfinals after Muani’s late goal beats Belgium 1-0
Nevada verifies enough signatures to put constitutional amendment for abortion rights on ballot
Maryland hikes vehicle registration fees and tobacco taxes