Current:Home > ScamsFastexy Exchange|George Santos is in plea negotiations with federal prosecutors -Quantum Capital Pro
Fastexy Exchange|George Santos is in plea negotiations with federal prosecutors
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 06:17:51
Former U.S. Rep. George Santos is Fastexy Exchangein negotiations to resolve his federal criminal fraud case, prosecutors said in a court filing Monday.
“The parties are presently engaged in plea negotiations with the goal of resolving this matter without the need for a trial,” U.S. Attorney Breon Peace’s office wrote in the filing.
Santos is scheduled to appear in court on Long Island for a hearing in the case Tuesday. He acknowledged in an interview that aired Sunday that he hadn’t ruled out pleading guilty.
“The trial is not until September and a plea is not off the table. So there’s obviously conversations taking place, especially after what happened in Congress, and we’ll see,” he said in the interview with CBS 2, referring to his expulsion from Congress earlier this month.
Asked if he is afraid of going to jail, Santos responded: “I think everybody should be afraid of going to jail, it’s not a pretty place and uh, I definitely want to work very hard to avoid that as best as possible.”
Prosecutors said in Monday’s filing they are also seeking an earlier trial date in case the negotiations fail to produce a deal. The request is opposed by Santos’ lawyer, who didn’t respond to an email seeking comment Monday.
Santos faces a host of charges that he defrauded donors to his campaign, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. He pleaded not guilty in October to additional charges that he made tens of thousands of dollars in unauthorized charges on credit cards belonging to some of his campaign donors.
Santos hasn’t wasted any time looking to cash in on his infamy since becoming just the sixth lawmaker in history to be cast out by colleagues in the U.S. House of Representatives, a move that left Republicans with a razor-thin majority in the chamber.
The 35-year-old Queens native launched an account on the website Cameo, where the public can pay him for a personalized video message. In the televised interview, Santos said he made more money in a week on the platform than his annual salary as a congressman.
Santos was touted as a rising star after he flipped the suburban district that covers the affluent North Shore of Long Island and a slice of the New York City borough of Queens last year.
But his life story unraveled before he was even sworn into office: Reports revealed he had lied about having Jewish ancestry, a career at top Wall Street firms and a college degree, among other things.
A special election will be held Feb. 13 to elect his House successor. That race will likely pit former U.S. Rep. Thomas Suozzi, a Democrat who previously held the seat before running unsuccessfully for governor, against one of a number of Republicans.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (97459)
Related
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Pete Alonso's best free agent fits: Will Mets bring back Polar Bear?
- Today's Craig Melvin Replacing Hoda Kotb: Everything to Know About the Beloved Anchor
- The state that cleared the way for sports gambling now may ban ‘prop’ bets on college athletes
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Tennessee suspect in dozens of rapes is convicted of producing images of child sex abuse
- Conviction and 7-year sentence for Alex Murdaugh’s banker overturned in appeal of juror’s dismissal
- Two 'incredibly rare' sea serpents seen in Southern California waters months apart
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- 'Wanted' posters plastered around University of Rochester target Jewish faculty members
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Study finds Wisconsin voters approved a record number of school referenda
- Today’s Savannah Guthrie, Al Roker and More React to Craig Melvin Replacing Hoda Kotb as Co-Anchor
- Smithfield agrees to pay $2 million to resolve child labor allegations at Minnesota meat plant
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Up to 20 human skulls found in man's discarded bags, home in New Mexico
- Natural gas flares sparked 2 wildfires in North Dakota, state agency says
- AI could help scale humanitarian responses. But it could also have big downsides
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
It's Red Cup Day at Starbucks: Here's how to get your holiday cup and cash in on deals
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Good Try (Freestyle)
Sofia Richie Reveals 5-Month-Old Daughter Eloise Has a Real Phone
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
New York races to revive Manhattan tolls intended to fight traffic before Trump can block them
How Kim Kardashian Navigates “Uncomfortable” Situations With Her 4 Kids
Today Reveals Hoda Kotb's Replacement