Current:Home > FinanceDallas juvenile detention center isolated kids and falsified documents, state investigation says -Quantum Capital Pro
Dallas juvenile detention center isolated kids and falsified documents, state investigation says
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 10:22:15
Officers at a juvenile detention center in Dallas kept kids isolated for days and falsified logs of observation checks and school attendance, an investigation from the Texas Juvenile Justice Department found.
State investigators say that staffers at the Dr. Jerome McNeil Jr. Detention Center used the Special Needs Unit to circumvent state law and essentially keep juveniles in their sleeping quarters for extended periods of time.
“They spent the vast majority of their days inside their cells, sometimes up to 24 hours a day, without regular access to education, large muscle exercise, outdoor recreation, or showers,” state investigators wrote in a report released Monday.
The full investigation was not made public, though TJJD provided the investigation’s executive summary.
The agency’s Office of the Inspector General said that they will continue to monitor the situation. Also, a division of the agency will continue to have oversight duties and responsibilities related to allegations of wrongdoing at Dallas County’s juvenile facilities. The superintendent of the detention center did not respond to requests for comment.
Officers also falsified documents meant to record observation checks and school attendance in order to conceal the actual practices occurring in the detention facility, the investigation found. OIG investigators collected over 18,000 pages of observation checks from January 2023 to June 2023. However, there were 176 of the 191 observation sheets missing for multiple dates and shifts.
“In some instances, inspectors found that all of the logs for a particular section and shift had the exact same times and observation codes for each juvenile resident on the section,” the report found.
Other allegations reported and investigated by OIG included children not being fed sufficiently and phone and visitation rights taken away due to behavior issues, although the investigation could not find these to be true or false.
The Special Needs Unit was created in 2009 to help children with mental health diagnoses who are also on probation. The program closed in 2023, the same year the OIG investigation took place, but the exact reasons for the closure are unknown.
This week’s report comes after the U.S. Department of Justice found unconstitutional conditions at all of Texas’ five juvenile detention facilities last month. They noted abusive and poor conditions and listed many remedial measures including limiting periods of isolation. Investigators found other wrongdoings such as pepper spray use on children and failure to apply sexual abuse reduction measures.
The state’s report says former Dallas County Juvenile Detention Center Executive Director Darryl Beatty should have been aware of what was happening within the special needs unit.
“While he may not have had an active role in creating the policies and procedure that allowed for neglect of juvenile residents, he had ample opportunity to take corrective action,” the OIG report said.
Beatty earlier this year denied the allegations, but resigned after media reports about conditions inside the juvenile facility, WFAA reported.
Barbara Kessler, spokesperson for TJJD, said Dallas officials are taking corrective actions and the state investigation is now closed.
“Investigators will continue to monitor the situation and can open new abuse, neglect, or exploitation investigations if warranted,” Kessler wrote in an email.
___
This story was originally published by The Texas Tribune and distributed through a partnership with The Associated Press.
veryGood! (833)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- What a judge’s gag order on Trump means in his hush money case
- Kendall Vertes Reveals Why Mother Jill Is Still the Ultimate Dance Mom
- Mexican authorities recover 3 bodies near where US, Australian tourists went missing
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Israel orders Al Jazeera to close its local operation and seizes some of its equipment
- Escaped zebra captured near Seattle after gallivanting around Cascade mountain foothills for days
- 'It's one-of-a-kind experience': 'Heeramandi' creator Sanjay Bhansali on why series is a must-watch
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Florida women drive 500 miles from Jacksonville to Key West in toy cars to 'save animals'
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Best Wayfair Way Day 2024 Living Room Furniture and Patio Furniture Deals
- As US spotlights those missing or dead in Native communities, prosecutors work to solve their cases
- AP Was There: Ohio National Guard killed protesters at Kent State University
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- If Anthony Edwards, Timberwolves didn't have your attention before, they do now
- CIA Director William Burns in Egypt for high-stakes Israeli hostage, cease-fire talks
- NASCAR Kansas race spring 2024: Start time, TV, live stream, lineup for AdventHealth 400
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
A boy gave his only dollar to someone he mistook as homeless. In exchange, the businessman rewarded him for his generosity.
Drive-thru food pantry in Southern California food desert provides consistent source of groceries for thousands: It's a labor of love
I-95 overpass in Connecticut scorched during a fuel truck inferno has been demolished
Travis Hunter, the 2
Shades of Tony Gwynn? Padres praise Luis Arraez, who makes great first impression
Yankees star Aaron Judge got ejected for the first time in his career
Mega Millions winning numbers for May 3 drawing: Jackpot rises to $284 million