Current:Home > InvestRep. George Santos pleads not guilty to latest federal charges -Quantum Capital Pro
Rep. George Santos pleads not guilty to latest federal charges
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 06:17:40
Washington — Rep. George Santos, a Republican of New York, pleaded not guilty Friday to the latest slew of additional federal charges accusing him in a superseding indictment of stealing his campaign donors' identities and racking up thousands of dollars in unauthorized charges on their credit cards.
Santos arrived at U.S. District Court in Central Islip, New York, and did not speak to reporters, according to CBS News New York.
His trial date has been set for Sept. 9, according to the U.S. attorney's office, which is 57 days before the November general election, but after the Republican primary. Santos has already drawn a number of challengers who are seeking to unseat him, including former Democratic Rep. Tom Suozzi, who gave up the seat to mount an unsuccessful run for governor in 2022.
Santos entered a not-guilty plea to the superseding indictment, and he waived the conflicts raised by the government involving his lawyer Joe Murray's past dealings with his ex-campaign manager Nancy Marks and another individual who was not identified. His next status conference is Dec. 12.
Federal prosecutors were also expected to seek to modify or expand Santos' pretrial release conditions. In a filing with the court, prosecutors said that the government provided Santos with the identities of additional people he would be banned from contacting. However, because some of them are members of Santos' family, his defense counsel requested that he be allowed to contact some of them.
According to prosecutors, Santos' counsel agreed that he "will continue to be prohibited from communicating with these individuals about this case, the pending charges against him, the facts underlying the pending charges and any future court proceedings, trial or testimony in this matter."
The latest allegations were detailed in a superseding indictment that was unsealed earlier this month, after his former campaign treasurer pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud the United States, admitting that Santos' campaign finance reports were embellished with fake loans and donors.
The newest indictment alleges Santos "repeatedly without authorization" used the credit cards of campaign donors to benefit his campaign and himself personally.
The indictment describes how Santos allegedly used one donor's credit card repeatedly without the donor's knowledge, charging $15,800 to his campaign and related political committees. In the following months, prosecutors alleged Santos tried to make $44,800 in unauthorized charges using the same donor's information. Some of the money was transferred to Santos' personal bank account, according to the indictment.
Prosecutors also alleged that Santos and his former campaign treasurer Nancy Marks agreed to falsify his campaign finance reports in order to hit fundraising benchmarks and bolster his campaign. The duo also allegedly lied about a $500,000 loan they said Santos made to his campaign.
"Why would I want to hurt the same people who went out of their way to get me here?" Santos told reporters in denying the recent charges.
The original indictment against Santos accused him of wire fraud, money laundering, theft of public funds and making materially false statements to the House of Representatives. Altogether, Santos is charged with 23 criminal counts.
Santos pleaded not guilty in May to the charges in the original indictment. He has vehemently denied any wrongdoing and has dismissed calls for him to resign from Congress.
"I'm entitled to due process and not a predetermined outcome as some are seeking," he said on social media on Thursday.
As the charges have piled up against Santos, some of his Republican colleagues in New York are seeking to oust him from Congress after a Democratic attempt to do so failed earlier this year.
On Thursday, Rep. Anthony D'Esposito introduced a resolution to expel Santos that the House has two legislative days to consider.
The effort follows one made by House Democrats earlier this year, which was blocked by Republicans. Then-House Speaker Kevin McCarthy argued that the legal process should be allowed to play out, and the matter was referred to the House Ethics Committee to conduct an investigation.
Scott MacFarlane and Robert Legare contributed to this report.
- In:
- Politics
- George Santos
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital. Reach her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hausofcait
TwitterveryGood! (23)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- In Romania, she heard church bells. They tolled for her child, slain in GA school shooting
- Peter Frampton finally finds Rock & Roll Hall of Fame doors open to him
- West Virginia governor to call on lawmakers to consider child care and tax proposals this month
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Shaq calls Caitlin Clark the 'real deal,' dismisses Barkley comments about pettiness
- Arizona’s ban on transgender girls playing girls’ school team sports remains blocked, court says
- Two women hospitalized after a man doused them with gas and set them on fire
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Why Kelly Ripa Gets Temporarily Blocked By Her Kids on Instagram
Ranking
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Man charged in random Seattle freeway shootings faces new charges nearby
- Dave Mason, the 'Forrest Gump of rock,' shares tales of Traffic, Beatles in memoir
- Elon Musk says human could reach Mars in 4 years after uncrewed SpaceX Starship trips
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Selena Gomez reveals she can't carry a baby. It's a unique kind of grief.
- 'SNL' star Chloe Troast exits show, was 'not asked back'
- Jenna Bush Hager Says Anna Wintour Asked Her and Hoda Kotb to “Quiet Down” at U.S. Open
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
ACLU plans to spend $1.3M in educate Montana voters about state Supreme Court candidates
Teen Mom's Catelynn Lowell Says She's Been Blocked by Daughter Carly's Adoptive Parents
Christian McCaffrey injury: Star inactive for 49ers' Week 1 MNF game vs. New York Jets
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
How to measure heat correctly, according to scientists, and why it matters
Tyreek Hill detainment: What we know, what we don't about incident with police
Christian McCaffrey injury: Star inactive for 49ers' Week 1 MNF game vs. New York Jets