Current:Home > ScamsDefendant in Georgia election interference case asks judge to unseal records -Quantum Capital Pro
Defendant in Georgia election interference case asks judge to unseal records
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:45:09
Attorney Kenneth Chesebro, one of the 19 defendants in the Fulton County election interference case, filed a motion Monday asking a judge to unseal a host of underlying records in the case -- including the special grand jury report that recommended charges, the transcripts of testimony heard by the panel, and any recordings of the proceedings.
The filing came on same day that another defendant, attorney Ray Smith III, waived his formal arraignment and entered a plea of not guilty "to each and every charge of the Indictment," according to that filing.
According to Smith's filing, Smith's team believes that by filing the waiver they "are excused from appearing" at the arraignment, which Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee has set for Sept. 6 for all 19 defendants to enter their pleas in the case.
MORE: Georgia election case: Trump, other 18 defendants surrender to authorities
Chesebro is set to stand trial in the case on Oct. 23, after a judge granted his request for a speedy trial. He, Smith and former President Donald Trump were charged along with 16 others earlier this month in a sweeping racketeering indictment for alleged efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election in the state of Georgia. The former president says his actions were not illegal and that the investigation is politically motivated.
In his motion on Monday, Chesebro's attorneys said the materials he's requesting "are critical for Chesebro to obtain in order to properly prepare for trial."
The motion said that numerous witnesses "including co-Defendants, unindicted co-conspirators, and traditional witnesses" testified before the special purpose grand jury, and that Chesebro "anticipates that many of these same people will testify at his trial."
"Finally, there is also an overarching due process concern that Mr. Chesebro have access to all prior testimony of witnesses who are expected to testify at trial (and made statements before the special purpose grand jury) in order to properly defend himself," the filing said
The special purpose grand jury -- which did not have indictment power but recommended that charges be brought -- was seated for nearly eight months and heard testimony from over 75 witnesses, including some of Trump's closest allies. A portion of its findings were released in a final report, excerpts of which were released to the public in February.
In a separate motion on Monday, Chesebro moved to conduct "voluntary interviews" of members of the separate grand jury that ultimately returned the indictment, in order to ask them if they "actually read the entire indictment or, alternatively, whether it was merely summarized for them," the filing said.
veryGood! (62)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- 2024 NBA draft: Top prospects, rankings, best available players
- Knicks continue to go all-in as they reach $212 million deal with OG Anunoby
- Infant mortality rate rose 8% in wake of Texas abortion ban, study shows
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- 6 years after wildfire destroyed Paradise, Calif., new blaze flares nearby
- IRS delays in resolving identity theft cases are ‘unconscionable,’ an independent watchdog says
- CBS News price tracker shows how much food, utility and housing costs are rising
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Transgender prison inmate assaulted by cellmate in Arizona gets $10K judgment in civil rights suit
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Bible: You'll Want to Check Out Khloe Kardashian's Style Evolution
- Worst to first? Ranking 8 NFL teams' chances to jump to top of division in 2024
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Kim Kardashian for Projecting Her Bulls--t
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- How property owners and lawmakers are turning the tables on squatters
- Bulls select Matas Buzelis with 11th pick of 2024 NBA draft. What you need to know
- Prosecutor drops 2 remaining charges against ex-police chief and top aide after indictment dismissed
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Back to Woodstock, with Wi-Fi: Women return after 55 years to glamp and relive the famous festival
George Latimer wins NY-16 primary, CBS News projects, beating incumbent Jamaal Bowman
Alex Morgan left off the 18-player U.S. soccer roster headed to the Olympics
Bodycam footage shows high
The US Tennis Association can do more to prevent abuse such as sexual misconduct, a review says
US Olympic and Paralympic Committee awards Sarah Hirshland a 5-year contract extension as CEO
Funeral service set for 12-year-old Houston girl whose body was found in a creek