Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:The Mirage casino, which ushered in an era of Las Vegas Strip megaresorts in the ‘90s, is closing -Quantum Capital Pro
SafeX Pro:The Mirage casino, which ushered in an era of Las Vegas Strip megaresorts in the ‘90s, is closing
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 06:17:52
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The SafeX Proiconic Mirage hotel-casino on the Las Vegas Strip will shut its doors this summer, the end of an era for a property credited with helping transform Sin City into an ultra-luxury resort destination.
The July 17 closure will clear the way for major renovations and construction on the 80-acre (32-hectare) property, which is to reopen in 2027 as the Hard Rock Las Vegas, featuring a hotel tower in the shape of a guitar soaring nearly 700 feet (about 210 meters) above the heart of the Strip.
“We’d like to thank the Las Vegas community and team members for warmly welcoming Hard Rock after enjoying 34 years at The Mirage,” Jim Allen, chairman of Hard Rock International, said Wednesday in a statement announcing the closure.
It will be the second time this year that a Strip casino shutters. The Tropicana Las Vegas closed in April after 67 years to make room for a $1.5 billion baseball stadium planned as the future home of the relocating Oakland A’s.
Developed by former casino mogul Steve Wynn, the Mirage opened with a Polynesian theme as the Strip’s first megaresort in 1989, spurring a building boom on the famous boulevard through the 1990s.
Its volcano fountain was one of the first sidewalk attractions, predating the Venetian’s canals and the Bellagio’s dancing fountains. It was known as a venue where tourists could see Siegfried and Roy taming white tigers or a Cirque du Soleil act set to a Beatles soundtrack.
The final curtain on the Beatles-themed show, which brought Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr back together for public appearances throughout its 18-year run, also comes down in July.
Hard Rock International said Wednesday that more than 3,000 employees will be laid off and it expects to pay out $80 million in severance.
The Culinary Workers Union, which has represented about 1,700 employees at the Mirage since it opened, said in a statement that the contract it won last year ensures laid-off workers will get $2,000 for each year of service. The contract also gives them the option of being called back to work and maintaining their seniority when the hotel reopens.
“Culinary Union will continue to ensure workers are protected and centered in the property’s future,” the statement said.
The Mirage became the first Strip property to be run by a Native American tribe in 2022, after Hard Rock International, which is owned by the Seminole Tribe of Florida, purchased it from MGM Resorts in a cash deal worth nearly $1.1 billion.
Hard Rock said at the time that the property would remain open and operate under the Mirage brand for several years while it finalized renovation plans.
The Mirage is accepting no bookings for after July 14 and said any reservations past that date will be canceled and refunded.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- What we know about suspected Iranian cyber intrusion in the US presidential race
- English town of Southport mourns 9-year-old stabbing victim and calls for an end to unrest
- 3 years into a life sentence, Alex Murdaugh to get his day before the South Carolina Supreme Court
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- 'A bad situation did not get worse': Enraged bull euthanized after escaping slaughterhouse
- Kylie Jenner Details Postpartum Depression Journey After Welcoming Her 2 Kids
- 4 family members killed after suspected street race resulted in fiery crash in Texas
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- In Nebraska special session on taxes, some ideas to raise millions in revenue get little attention
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- 'Massive' search for convicted murderer who escaped on way to North Carolina hospital
- Pennsylvania troopers stop drivers at similar rates no matter their race or ethnicity, study finds
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's crossword, Don't Move a Muscle! (Freestyle)
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran Wax Figures Revealed and Fans Weren't Ready For It
- Brat summer is almost over. Get ready for 'demure' fall, a new viral TikTok trend.
- Ted Danson, Woody Harrelson recall ditching 'Cheers' set to do mushrooms
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Ohio family reaches $7M settlement in fatal police shooting of 23-year-old
Houston’s former mayor is the Democrats’ nominee to succeed the late US Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee
Channing Tatum Reveals How Riley Keough Played Matchmaker for Him and Now-Fiancé Zoë Kravitz
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Vikings rookie QB J.J. McCarthy to undergo surgery for torn meniscus; timetable unknown
What are the gold Notes on Instagram? It's all related to the 2024 Paris Olympics
Americans give Harris an advantage over Trump on honesty and discipline, an AP-NORC poll finds