Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Quantum Capital Pro
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 05:04:04
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (483)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Jeff Bezos fund donates $117 million to support homeless charities. Here are the recipients.
- ZLINE expands recall of potentially deadly gas stoves to include replacement or refund option
- Haitian police say member of a gang accused of kidnapping Americans has been extradited to the US
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- 'Maestro' chronicles the brilliant Bernstein — and his disorderly conduct
- Photos show a shocked nation mourning President John F. Kennedy after assassination
- Military scientists identify remains of Indiana soldier who died in German WWII battle
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- More Americans are expected to ‘buy now, pay later’ for the holidays. Analysts see a growing risk
Ranking
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Florida mom, baby found stabbed to death, as firefighters rescue 2 kids from blaze
- Video shows flash mob steal $12,000 worth of goods from Nike store in LA
- India in G20 summit welcomes Israel-Hamas cease-fire, urges action on climate, other issues
- Small twin
- Susan Sarandon dropped by talent agency following pro-Palestinian rally appearance, reports say
- Automatic pay raise pays dividends, again, for top state officials in Pennsylvania
- Track coach pleads guilty in federal court to tricking women into sending him nude photos
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Olympic organizers to release more than 400,000 new tickets for the Paris Games and Paralympics
Retiree records bat sex in church attic, helps scientists solve mystery of species' super long penis
Police identify man they say injured 4 in Beavercreek, Ohio Walmart shooting
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
2 killed, 5 injured in Philadelphia shooting, I-95 reopened after being closed
Landslide leaves 3 dead and trail of damage in remote community of Wrangell, Alaska
Ethics probe into North Carolina justice’s comments continues after federal court refuses to halt it