Current:Home > MarketsTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case -Quantum Capital Pro
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:01:05
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Centerextended family of Erik and Lyle Menendez will advocate for the brothers’ release from prison during a news conference set for Wednesday in downtown Los Angeles as prosecutors review new evidence to determine whether they should be serving life sentences for killing their parents.
Billed as “a powerful show of unity” by more than a dozen family members — including the brothers’ aunt — who are traveling across the country to Los Angeles, the news conference will take place less than two weeks after LA County District Attorney George Gascón announced his office was looking at the brothers’ case again.
Erik Menendez, now 53, and his 56-year-old brother, Lyle Menendez, are currently incarcerated in state prison without the possibility of parole after being convicted of killing their parents in their Beverly Hills mansion more than 35 years ago.
Lyle Menendez, who was then 21, and Erik Menendez, then 18, admitted they fatally shot-gunned their entertainment executive father, Jose Menendez, and their mother, Kitty Menendez, in 1989 but said they feared their parents were about to kill them to prevent the disclosure of the father’s long-term sexual molestation of Erik.
The extended family’s attorney Bryan Freedman previously said they strongly support the brothers’ release. Comedian Rosie O’Donnell also plans to join the family on Wednesday.
“She wishes nothing more than for them to be released,” Freedman said earlier this month of Joan VanderMolen, Kitty Menendez’s sister and the brothers’ aunt.
Earlier this month, Gascón said there is no question the brothers committed the 1989 murders, but his office will be reviewing new evidence and will make a decision on whether a resentencing is warranted in the notorious case that captured national attention.
The brothers’ attorneys said the family believed from the beginning they should have been charged with manslaughter rather than murder. Manslaughter was not an option for the jury during the second trial that ultimately led to the brothers’ murder conviction, attorney Mark Geragos previously said.
The case has gained new traction in recent weeks after Netflix began streaming the true-crime drama “ Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story. ”
The new evidence includes a letter written by Erik Menendez that his attorneys say corroborates the allegations that he was sexually abused by his father. A hearing was scheduled for Nov. 29.
Prosecutors at the time contended there was no evidence of any molestation. They said the sons were after their parents’ multimillion-dollar estate.
But the brothers have said they killed their parents out of self-defense after enduring a lifetime of physical, emotional and sexual abuse from them. Their attorneys argue that because of society’s changing views on sexual abuse, that the brothers may not have been convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life without parole today.
Jurors in 1996 rejected a death sentence in favor of life without parole.
veryGood! (63)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Las Cruces police officer indicted for voluntary manslaughter in fatal 2022 shooting of a Black man
- NPR's most popular self-help and lifestyle stories of 2023
- Japan’s leader grilled in parliament over widening fundraising scandal, link to Unification Church
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Hundreds of Slovaks protest the new government’s plan to close prosecutors office for top crimes
- George Brett's competitiveness, iconic moments highlight new MLB Network documentary
- For one Israeli hostage's family, anguish, and a promise after meeting Netanyahu: We're coming.
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- 110 funny Christmas memes for 2023: These might land you on the naughty list
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- A rocket attack targets the US embassy in Baghdad, causing minor damage but no casualties
- Advocates say a Mexican startup is illegally selling a health drink from an endangered fish
- Unique ways Americans celebrate the holidays, from skiing Santas to Festivus feats
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Songwriter Tiffany Red pens letter to Diddy, backing Cassie's abuse allegations: 'I fear for my safety'
- Kerry Washington puts Hollywood on notice in speech: 'This is not a level playing field'
- Songwriter Tiffany Red pens letter to Diddy, backing Cassie's abuse allegations: 'I fear for my safety'
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
The UK says it has paid Rwanda $300 million for a blocked asylum deal. No flights have taken off
Israeli teen hostage freed by Hamas says her pet dog Bella was a huge help during captivity in Gaza tunnels
MLS Cup: Ranking every Major League Soccer championship game
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
CosMc's: McDonald's reveals locations for chain's new spinoff restaurant and menu
Crowds line Dublin streets for funeral procession of The Pogues singer Shane MacGowan
Six French teens await a verdict over their alleged roles in Islamic extremist killing of a teacher