Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Knights of Columbus covers shrine’s mosaics by ex-Jesuit artist accused of abusing women -Quantum Capital Pro
Charles Langston:Knights of Columbus covers shrine’s mosaics by ex-Jesuit artist accused of abusing women
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 07:22:38
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Charles LangstonKnights of Columbus, the world’s largest Catholic fraternal group, has covered up defining features of the mosaics in its Washington D.C. shrine after the famous ex-Jesuit artist who designed them was accused of abusing women.
The influential Catholic charitable organization announced earlier this month that it was covering the works as a sign of solidarity with victims of abuse since they “may be further injured by the ongoing display of the mosaics at the shrine.” For now, it is being covered with paper, but as soon as possible, it will be completely covered with fabric that is appropriate for a worship space, according to the Knights of Columbus.
The Rev. Marko Rupnik’s mosaics depicting biblical scenes, saints and the Virgin Mary grace some of the most important and visited Catholic basilicas and sanctuaries around the world. But he has been accused by more than 20 women of psychological, spiritual and sexual abuse, prompting questions about what to do with his artwork.
The Knights’ announcement that they were going to cover them up marked the first such move by a major church, organization or diocese. They said they would cover the mosaics at its Saint John Paul II National Shrine in Washington and chapel at its New Haven, Connecticut, headquarters initially in paper, until the custom-made fabric draping that has been ordered arrives. A permanent plaster covering “may be in order,” depending on the outcome of the Vatican’s investigation into Rupnik, the Knights said.
The scandal about Rupnik’s alleged abuse has grown steadily, and implicated Pope Francis, since the Vatican and his Jesuit order long ignored the women’s complaints until their stories were published in late 2022 in Italian blogs and newspapers.
One of the women who says Rupnik abused her, Gloria Branciani, said she struggled over her ultimate decision to ask that Rupnik’s mosaics be removed, since she knew so many artists worked on them beyond the Slovene priest.
“What made me take this decision with peace and tranquility was learning that an artist was abused by Rupnik precisely as he worked, precisely as his hands created the scenes of salvation,” she told the Associated Press last month in Rome. “And for me this was so important: I realized that it wasn’t right to keep these works — works that at their origin had negative energy, energy of abuse — where people go to pray.”
The Jesuits expelled Rupnik from the order last year, and Pope Francis ordered a new canonical trial against him following an outcry that his victims hadn’t received justice and suspicions that he had received favorable treatment.
Rupnik hasn’t responded to the allegations and refused to cooperate with an investigation by his former order, which determined that the women’s claims against him were “very highly credible.” His collaborators have denounced what they called a media “lynching” against him.
___
Winfield reported from New York City.
___
Associated Press religion coverage receives support through the AP’s collaboration with The Conversation US, with funding from Lilly Endowment Inc. The AP is solely responsible for this content.
veryGood! (64)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Hurricane Hone soaks Hawaii with flooding rain; another storm approaching
- US national parks are receiving record-high gift of $100M
- Maya Moore has jersey number retired by Minnesota Lynx in emotional ceremony
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Seattle Tacoma Airport hit with potential cyberattack, flights delayed
- Aaron Judge becomes MLB's first player this season to hit 50 homers
- T-Boz of TLC says she's 'on the mend' following medical scare that left shows canceled
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Matthew Stafford's Wife Kelly Stafford Shares Her Advice for Taylor Swift and Fellow Football Wives
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- A Florida man set to be executed this week appeals to the US Supreme Court for a stay
- ‘Deadpool’ and ‘Alien’ top charts again as ‘Blink Twice’ sees quiet opening
- Lydia Ko completes ‘Cinderella-like story’ by winning Women’s British Open soon after Olympic gold
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Lights, camera, cars! Drive-in movie theaters are still rolling along
- Closings set in trial of ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Aaron Judge becomes MLB's first player this season to hit 50 homers
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Columbus Crew vs. Los Angeles FC Leagues Cup final: How to watch Sunday's championship
Foo Fighters will donate to Kamala Harris after Trump used their song 'My Hero'
Legendary USA TODAY editor Bob Dubill dies: 'He made every newsroom better'
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Residential real estate was confronting a racist past. Then came the commission lawsuits
Lights, camera, cars! Drive-in movie theaters are still rolling along
Lea Michele Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 2 With Husband Zandy Reich