Current:Home > NewsDiddy's key to New York City rescinded after Cassie Ventura assault video -Quantum Capital Pro
Diddy's key to New York City rescinded after Cassie Ventura assault video
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:23:58
Sean "Diddy" Combs' key to New York City has officially been rescinded less than a year after it was issued.
New York City Mayor Eric Adams' office confirmed to USA TODAY on Sunday that the key bestowed upon Diddy in September has been revoked after surveillance footage surfaced that shows the embattled rapper assaulting his then-girlfriend, Cassie Ventura, in a hotel hallway in 2016.
In a letter sent to Diddy dated June 4, Adams said he was "deeply disturbed" by the video footage and asked him to immediately return the key.
"I strongly condemn these actions and stand in solidarity with all survivors of domestic and gender-based violence," the mayor wrote in the letter, which was shared with USA TODAY. "Our city has worked tirelessly to make sure survivors are heard and seen by our administration."
The key to New York City is described as "a beloved symbol of civic recognition and gratitude reserved for individuals whose service to the public and the common good rises to the highest level of achievement."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But Adams said a committee recommended revoking the key from the music mogul, who since last year has faced multiple allegations of sexual assault.
According to Fabien Levy, deputy mayor for communications, Adams' office received the key back on June 10.
Sean 'Diddy' Combs' legal issues:A timeline of allegations and the rapper's life, career
Diddy, 54, was honored with the key to New York City in a ceremony held in Times Square on Sept. 15. "I'm a New York boy, and I just got to key to the city, and everything is just a little surreal right now," he said at the time.
While introducing Diddy, Adams said that "the bad boy of entertainment is getting the key to the city from the bad boy of politics."
Two months later, Ventura sued Diddy for alleged rape, abuse and sex trafficking, and the Bad Boy Records founder subsequently faced additional sexual abuse allegations. Ventura's suit was settled one day after being filed. Diddy's homes were later raided by law enforcement.
In May, surveillance video obtained by CNN showed Diddy assaulting Ventura at a hotel. After the footage's release, Diddy issued an apology without mentioning Ventura's name.
"My behavior on that video is inexcusable," he said. "I take full responsibility for my actions ... I'm disgusted. I was disgusted then when I did it, (and) I'm disgusted now."
Earlier this month, Howard University rescinded an honorary degree that was presented to Diddy in 2014.
“Mr. Combs' behavior as captured in a recently released video is so fundamentally incompatible with Howard University's core values and beliefs that he is deemed no longer worthy to hold the institution’s highest honor," a Howard spokesperson said. "The university is unwavering in its opposition to all acts of interpersonal violence."
Contributing: Minnah Arshad and Anika Reed, USA TODAY
veryGood! (6355)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Gulf Coast residents still reeling from Hurricane Ida clean up mess left by Francine
- Tua Tagovailoa suffers concussion in Miami Dolphins' game vs. Buffalo Bills
- Miss Switzerland Finalist Kristina Joksimovic's Remains Allegedly Pureed in Blender by Husband
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Montana miner to lay off hundreds due to declining palladium prices
- Newly freed from federal restrictions, Wells Fargo agrees to shore up crime risk detection
- Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza & Wings parent company BurgerFi files for bankruptcy
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Max Verstappen has a ‘monster’ to tame in Baku as Red Bull’s era of F1 dominance comes under threat
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- A teen accused of killing his mom in Florida was once charged in Oklahoma in his dad’s death
- Target’s Latino Heritage Month Collection Has Juan Gabriel & Rebelde Tees for $16, Plus More Latino Faves
- Measure to repeal Nebraska’s private school funding law should appear on the ballot, court rules
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Arizona man copied room key, sexually assaulted woman in hotel: Prosecutors
- How Today’s Craig Melvin Is Honoring Late Brother Lawrence
- North Carolina Gov. Cooper’s second-term environmental secretary is leaving the job
Recommendation
Could your smelly farts help science?
Jill Biden and the defense chief visit an Alabama base to highlight expanded military benefits
Consumers are expected to spend more this holiday season
2nd Circuit rejects Donald Trump’s request to halt postconviction proceedings in hush money case
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Target’s Latino Heritage Month Collection Has Juan Gabriel & Rebelde Tees for $16, Plus More Latino Faves
A scenic California mountain town walloped by a blizzard is now threatened by wildfire
Brothers charged with assaulting New York Times photographer during Capitol riot