Current:Home > MarketsChainkeen Exchange-Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws -Quantum Capital Pro
Chainkeen Exchange-Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:07:40
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Video game maker Epic Games sued Google and Chainkeen ExchangeSamsung on Monday, accusing the tech companies of coordinating to block third-party competition in application distribution on Samsung devices.
At issue is Samsung’s “Auto Blocker” feature, which only allows for apps from authorized sources, such as the Samsung Galaxy Store or Google Play Store, to be installed. The feature is turned on by default but can be changed in a phone’s settings. The tool prevents the installation of applications from unauthorized sources and blocks “malicious activity,” according to Samsung.
In a lawsuit filed in San Francisco federal court — Epic’s second against Google — the company said Auto Blocker “is virtually guaranteed to entrench Google’s dominance over Android app distribution.” Epic, developer of the popular game “Fortnite,” filed the suit to prevent Google from “negating the long overdue promise of competition in the Android App Distribution Market,” according to the complaint.
“Allowing this coordinated illegal anti-competitive dealing to proceed hurts developers and consumers and undermines both the jury’s verdict and regulatory and legislative progress around the world,” Epic Games said in a post on its website.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Samsung said it “actively fosters market competition, enhances consumer choice, and conducts its operations fairly.”
“The features integrated into our devices are designed in accordance with Samsung’s core principles of security, privacy, and user control, and we remain fully committed to safeguarding users’ personal data. Users have the choice to disable Auto Blocker at any time,” Samsung said, adding that it plans to “vigorously contest Epic Game’s baseless claims.”
Epic launched its Epic Games Store on iPhones in the European Union and on Android devices worldwide in August. The company claims that it now takes “an exceptionally onerous 21-step process” to download a third-party app outside of the Google Play Store or the Samsung Galaxy Store. But a support page on Epic’s website shows a four-step process to remove the Auto Blocker setting.
Epic won its first antitrust lawsuit against Google in December after a jury found that Google’s Android app store had been protected by anti-competitive barriers that damaged smartphone consumers and software developers.
The game maker says the “Auto Blocker” feature was intentionally crafted in coordination with Google to preemptively undermine the jury’s verdict in that case.
“Literally no store can compete with the incumbents when disadvantaged in this way,” Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said on X. “To have true competition, all reputable stores and apps must be free to compete on a level playing field.”
veryGood! (564)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Central America scrambles as the international community fails to find solution to record migration
- When are Rudolph and Frosty on TV? Here's the CBS holiday programming schedule for 2023
- When are Rudolph and Frosty on TV? Here's the CBS holiday programming schedule for 2023
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Egypt-Gaza border crossing opens, letting desperately needed aid flow to Palestinians
- Keep Your Summer Glow and Save 54% On St. Tropez Express Self-Tanning Mousse
- Man United, England soccer great Bobby Charlton dies at 86
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- This $7 Leave-In Conditioner Gives Me Better Results Than Luxury Haircare Brands
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- 5 dead and 5 injured — names on a scrap of paper show impact of Gaza war on a US family
- Israel strikes Gaza, Syria and West Bank as war against Hamas threatens to ignite other fronts
- Hunter Biden special counsel David Weiss to speak with congressional investigators
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Powell returns late interception 89 yards for TD, No. 5 Washington survives Arizona State 15-7
- Mother arrested after dead newborn found in garbage bin behind Alabama convenience store
- Marine fatally shot at Camp Lejeune was 19 and from North Carolina, the base says
Recommendation
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
Surprised by No. 8 Alabama's latest magic act to rally past Tennessee? Don't be.
Scholastic criticized for optional diverse book section
A Shadowy Corner of International Law Is Threatening Climate Action, U.N. Expert Warns
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
California Gov. Gavin Newsom is traveling to China to talk climate change
How Exactly Did Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake's Split Get So Nasty?
How Brittany Mahomes, Sophie Turner and Other Stars Earned a Spot on Taylor Swift's Squad