Current:Home > FinanceSudan conflict rages on after a month of chaos and broken ceasefires -Quantum Capital Pro
Sudan conflict rages on after a month of chaos and broken ceasefires
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:03:07
Khartoum — One month since Sudan's conflict erupted, its capital is a desolate war zone where terrorized families huddle in their homes as gun battles rage in the dusty, deserted streets outside. As people hope to dodge stray bullets, they also endure desperate shortages of food and basic supplies, power blackouts, communications outages and runaway inflation.
Khartoum, a city of five million on the Nile River, was long a place of relative stability and wealth, even under decades of sanctions against former strongman Omar al-Bashir. Now it has become a shell of its former self.
Charred aircraft lie on the airport tarmac, foreign embassies are shuttered and hospitals, banks, shops and wheat silos have been ransacked by looters.
Sudan's warring generals break ceasefires
The fighting broke out on April 15 between army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and his former deputy Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, who leads the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
While the generals fight, what remains of the government has retreated to Port Sudan about 500 miles away, the hub for mass evacuations of both Sudanese and foreign citizens.
The battles have killed more than 750 people, according to the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project. Thousands more have been wounded and nearly a million displaced, with long refugee convoys headed to Egypt, Ethiopia, Chad and South Sudan.
Multiple truce deals have been agreed and quickly violated, and hopes are dim for an end to the fighting which has piled more suffering on the 45 million people of one of the world's poorest countries.
Both sides "break ceasefires with a regularity that demonstrates a sense of impunity unprecedented even by Sudan's standards of civil conflict," said Alex Rondos, the European Union's former special representative to the Horn of Africa.
In their latest moves, Burhan declared that he was freezing the RSF's assets, while Daglo threatened in an audio recording that the army chief would be "brought to justice and hanged" in a public square.
Sudan's history of unrest
Sudan has a long history of military coups, but hopes had risen after mass pro-democracy protests led to the ouster of Islamist-backed Bashir in 2019, followed by a shaky transition toward civilian rule.
As Washington and other foreign powers lifted sanctions, Sudan was slowly reintegrating into the international community, before the generals derailed that transition with another coup in 2021.
Despite all the bullets, aerial bombardments and anti-aircraft fire of recent weeks, neither side has been able to seize the battlefield advantage.
The army, backed by Egypt, has the advantage of air power while Daglo is, according to experts, supported by the United Arab Emirates and foreign fighters. He commands troops that stemmed from the notorious Janjaweed militia, accused of atrocities in the Darfur war that began two decades ago.
For now, "both sides believe that they can win militarily," U.S. Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines told a recent Senate hearing.
"Sudan will be much poorer for much longer"
The fighting has deepened the humanitarian crisis in Sudan, where one in three people already relied on humanitarian assistance before the war.
Since then, aid agencies have been looted and at least 18 of their workers killed.
Across the Red Sea, in the Saudi city of Jeddah, envoys from both sides have been negotiating. By May 11 they had signed a commitment to respect humanitarian principles, including the protection of civilians and allowing in badly needed humanitarian aid.
But, "absent a significant change of mindset from the warring parties, it is hard to see that commitments on paper will be fulfilled," said Aly Verjee, a Sudan researcher at Sweden's University of Gothenburg.
Sudan has had a long history of conflicts, especially in the western region of Darfur, where Bashir from 2003 unleashed the Janjaweed to quash a rebellion by non-Arab ethnic minorities.
The scorched-earth campaign killed up to 300,000 people and uprooted more than 2.7 million, the UN said.
According to the health ministry, the bulk of deaths during the current fighting have occurred in Darfur.
The ministry reported 199 fatalities in Khartoum, but said at least 450 people were killed by May 10 in El Geneina, the capital of West Darfur state, and surrounding areas.
With hospitals gutted, "there are also reports of people dying from the injuries they sustained in the early days of fighting," said Mohamed Osman of Human Rights Watch.
Doctors Without Borders said food shortages in Darfur displacement camps mean that "people have gone from three meals a day to just one".
Verjee said the fighting across the country has destroyed workshops and factories and caused "the partial deindustrialization of Sudan."
"This means that any future Sudan will be much poorer for much longer."
- In:
- War
- Africa
- Sudan
veryGood! (16312)
Related
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- A man is killed and an officer shot as police chase goes from Illinois to Indiana and back
- George and Amal Clooney walk red carpet with Brad Pitt and Ines de Ramon
- Next eclipse in less than a month: When is the annular 'ring of fire' and who will see it?
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- The Fed welcomes a ‘soft landing’ even if many Americans don’t feel like cheering
- Jinger Duggar Shares Never-Before-Seen Photos From Sister Jana’s Wedding
- Philadelphia Eagles work to remove bogus political ads purporting to endorse Kamala Harris
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- The 33 most anticipated movies of the Fall
Ranking
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Ben Affleck's Cousin Declares She's the New Jenny From the Block Amid Jennifer Lopez Divorce
- Online fundraiser for Matthew Gaudreau’s widow raises more than $500K as the sports world mourns
- Kara Welsh Case: Man Arrested After Gymnast Dies During Shooting
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Gymnast Kara Welsh’s Coaches and Teammates Mourn Her Death
- People are getting Botox in their necks to unlock a new bodily function: burping
- 7 people killed in Mississippi bus crash were all from Mexico, highway patrol says
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Can dogs eat watermelon? Ways to feed your pup fruit safely.
Wrong-way crash on Georgia highway kills 3, injures 3 others
Team USA's Rebecca Hart, Fiona Howard win gold in Paralympics equestrian
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Nation's largest Black Protestant denomination faces high-stakes presidential vote
The ManningCast is back: Full schedule for 2024 NFL season
Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia of Sweden Expecting Baby No. 4