Current:Home > StocksIndexbit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Quantum Capital Pro
Indexbit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 10:40:37
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Indexbitagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Jihad Ward gives his perspective on viral confrontation with Aaron Rodgers
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow returns to practice as team prepares for Browns
- As Israel pushes punitive demolitions, family of 13-year-old Palestinian attacker to lose its home
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- 'Awful situation': 10-year-old girl stabs man attacking her mom in Houston, police say
- 'I'm disgusted': Pastors criticize Baptist seminary for 'hidden' marker noting ties to slavery
- Selena Gomez Reveals the Requirements She's Looking for in a Future Partner
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Harry Potter's Bonnie Wright Shared She's Frustrated Over Character Ginny's Lack of Screen Time
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Pope Francis again draws criticism with remarks on Russia as Ukraine war rages
- Four people held in a problem-plagued jail have died over the span of a month
- Onshore Wind Is Poised to Grow, and Move Away from Boom and Bust Cycles
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Canada warns LGBTQ travelers to U.S. to be cautious of local laws
- Judge says former Trump adviser has failed to show Trump asserted executive privilege
- Pennsylvania’s Senate returns for an unusual August session and a budget stalemate
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Why Deion Sanders' Colorado Buffaloes team could surprise the nation (or not)
Iraq court sentences 5 people to life in prison in killing of US citizen, officials say
Swimmer in Texas dies after infection caused by brain-eating amoeba
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Canada warns LGBTQ travelers to U.S. to be cautious of local laws
2 men, 4 children hospitalized after Illinois shooting
As Israel pushes punitive demolitions, family of 13-year-old Palestinian attacker to lose its home