Current:Home > NewsIOC: Female boxers were victims of arbitrary decision by International Boxing Association -Quantum Capital Pro
IOC: Female boxers were victims of arbitrary decision by International Boxing Association
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:17:50
PARIS – The International Olympic Committee (IOC) says two female boxers at the center of controversy over gender eligibility criteria were victims of a “sudden and arbitrary decision" by the International Boxing Association (IBA) in 2023.
Algerian boxer Imane Khelif and Lin Yu-ting of Taiwan both were disqualified from the 2023 women’s boxing world championships after the IBA claimed they had failed "gender eligibility tests." The IBA, which sanctions the world championships, made the announcement after Khelif and Lin won medals at the event in March 2023.
The IBA, long plagued with scandal and controversy, oversaw Olympics boxing before the IOC stripped it of the right before the Tokyo Games in 2021. Although the IBA has maintained control of the world championships, the IOC no longer recognizes the IBA as the international federation for boxing.
Citing minutes on the IBA’s website, the IOC said Thursday, “The current aggression against these two athletes is based entirely on this arbitrary decision, which was taken without any proper procedures – especially considering that these athletes had been competing in top level competition for many years."
The issue resurfaced this week when the IOC said both Khelif and Lin were eligible to compete at the Paris Olympics, and a furor erupted on social media Thursday after Khelif won her opening bout against Italy’s Angela Carini. Khelif landed one punch – on Carini’s nose – before the Italian boxer quit just 46 seconds into the welterweight bout at 146 pounds. Lin is scheduled to fight in her opening bout Friday.
2024 Olympic medals: Who is leading the medal count? Follow along as we track the medals for every sport.
With the likes of Jake Paul and J.K. Rowling expressing outrage over Khelif competing against other women, the IOC issued a statement later Thursday addressing the matter.
“The IOC is committed to protecting the human rights of all athletes participating in the Olympic Games," the organization said in a statement issued on social media. "… The IOC is saddened by the abuse that these two athletes are currently receiving."
The IOC said the gender and age of an athlete are based on their passports and that the current Olympic competition eligibility and entry regulations were in place during Olympic qualifying events in 2023. Both Lin and Khelif competed in the 2021 Tokyo Games and did not medal.
The IOC pointed to the IBA’s secretary general and CEO, Chris Roberts, as being responsible for disqualifying Khelif and Lin after they had won medals in 2023. Khelif won bronze, Lin gold before the IBA took them away.
Khelif, 25, made her amateur debut in 2018 at the Balkan Women's Tournament, according to BoxRec. She is 37-9 and has recorded five knockouts, according to BoxRec, and won a silver medal at the 2022 world championships.
Lin, 28, made her amateur debut in 2013 at the AIBA World Women's Youth Championships, according to BoxRec. She is 40-14 and has recorded one knockout, according to BoxRec, and won gold medals at the world championships in 2018 and 2022.
On Thursday, the IBA issued a statement saying the disqualification was "based on two trustworthy tests conducted on both athletes in two independent laboratories.''
veryGood! (16187)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Captain Jason Chambers’ Boating Essentials Include an Eye-Opening Update on a Below Deck Storyline
- Brazil observes the anniversary of the anti-democratic uprising in the capital
- W-2 vs. W-4? The key forms to know when you file taxes in 2024.
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- When can you file taxes this year? Here's when the 2024 tax season opens.
- California inmate killed in prison yard. Two other inmates accused in the attack
- Volunteer search group finds 3 bodies in car submerged in South Florida retention pond
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Who won Golden Globes for 2024? See the full winners list here
Ranking
- 'Most Whopper
- As Bosnian Serbs mark controversial national day, US warns celebration amounts to ‘criminal offense’
- Jo Koy Defends Cute Golden Globes Joke About Taylor Swift Amid Criticism
- Trump to return to federal court as judges hear arguments on whether he is immune from prosecution
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Judge orders new North Dakota legislative district for 2 Native American tribes
- Oakland city council members request explanation from A’s about canceled minor league game
- Kentucky Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear forms PAC to support candidates across the country
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
The EU loses about a million workers per year due to aging. Migration official urges legal options
California sets a special election for US House seat left vacant by exit of former Speaker McCarthy
Newly sworn in, Louisiana’s governor calls for special session to draw new congressional map
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
49ers at Dolphins, Bills at Ravens headline unveiled 2024 NFL schedule of opponents
7 bulldog puppies found after owner's car stolen in DC; 1 still missing, police say
Some are leaving earthquake-rattled Wajima. But this Japanese fish seller is determined to rebuild