Current:Home > ContactFlorida agencies are accused in a lawsuit of sending confusing Medicaid termination notices -Quantum Capital Pro
Florida agencies are accused in a lawsuit of sending confusing Medicaid termination notices
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:44:40
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Three Florida residents filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday, alleging that state agencies aren’t adequately notifying low-income and disabled people that their public health insurance is ending.
The class-action lawsuit was filed in Jacksonville federal court by the Florida Health Justice Project and the National Health Law Program on behalf of the three Floridians, according to court records. The defendants are the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration and the Florida Department of Children and Families.
The agencies didn’t immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
More than 182,000 Floridians have been issued termination notices since April, when a coronavirus policy that banned states from dropping people from Medicaid ended, while hundreds of thousands more are expected to lose coverage over the next year, the residents claim in the lawsuit.
Many of the low-income people who are losing coverage have no idea whether the state is making the right decision or how to challenge their loss of coverage, they argue. The residents are asking for an end to the current notification process and for coverage to be reinstated to people who previously received the faulty termination notices.
The state agencies have known since 2018 that the notices were confusing but have continued to use them, leaving many without coverage for critical care, prescriptions, vaccinations and postpartum care, Sarah Grusin, an attorney for the National Health Law Program, said in a statement.
“Fundamental due process requires the State to ensure that people receive adequate, meaningful notice of the State’s decision and the opportunity to challenge it before coverage is terminated,” Grusin said. “This is not happening.”
The National Health Law Program said this is the first lawsuit amid the nationwide Medicaid unwinding, with nearly 4 million people across the U.S. being cut from Medicaid since this spring.
Amanda Avery, another attorney for the National Health Law Program, said in a statement that the scope of Florida’s terminations is particularly egregious but that similar patterns are seen in many other states.
“For months, advocates have been warning state and federal agencies that the end of the COVID-19 public health emergency and the Medicaid unwinding process would lead to massive coverage losses for people who are still eligible for Medicaid,” Aver said. “We are seeing that play out in real time.”
veryGood! (688)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Mega Millions heats up to an estimated $315 million. See winning numbers for Oct. 3
- The world's oldest mummies are decomposing after 7,000 years. Here's why.
- Biden presses student debt relief as payments resume after the coronavirus pandemic pause
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Missing woman who was subject of a Silver Alert killed in highway crash in Maine
- Neighbors react after Craig Ross, Jr. charged with kidnapping 9-year-old Charlotte Sena from Moreau Lake State Park
- MLB playoffs highlights: Phillies, D-backs win to cap off postseason's opening day
- Trump's 'stop
- Global Red Cross urges ouster of Belarus chapter chief over the deportation of Ukrainian children
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Patrick Stewart's potential Picard wig flew British Airways solo for 'Star Trek' audition: Memoir
- 'Made for this moment': Rookie star Royce Lewis snaps Twins' historic losing streak
- Major fire strikes Detroit-area apartment complex for seniors
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- When is the big emergency alert test? Expect your phone to ominously blare Wednesday.
- Aaron Rodgers takes shot at Travis Kelce, calls Chiefs TE 'Mr. Pfizer' due to vaccine ads
- Tropical Storm Philippe soaks northeast Caribbean on a path toward Bermuda, New England and Canada
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Murder suspect sought after man stabbed multiple times in 'unthinkable' attack
Michael Zack set to be executed Tuesday in 1996 killing of woman he met at Florida bar
The world's oldest mummies are decomposing after 7,000 years. Here's why.
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Will Leo Messi play again? Here's the latest on Inter Miami's star before Chicago FC match
Canada’s House of Commons elects first Black speaker
At $1.2 billion, Powerball jackpot is now third-biggest ever: When is the next drawing?