Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -Quantum Capital Pro
SafeX Pro:John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 08:43:32
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry,SafeX Pro and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Recalled Boppy baby lounger now linked to at least 10 infant deaths
- Joe Biden says the COVID-19 pandemic is over. This is what the data tells us
- Encore: A new hard hat could help protect workers from on-the-job brain injuries
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- They were turned away from urgent care. The reason? Their car insurance
- Katy Perry Upgrades Her California Gurl Style at King Charles III’s Coronation
- Some don't evacuate, despite repeated hurricane warnings, because they can't
- Sam Taylor
- Debate 2020: The Candidates’ Climate Positions & What They’ve Actually Done
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Many children are regularly exposed to gun violence. Here's how to help them heal
- Ethan Orton, teen who brutally killed parents in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, sentenced to life in prison
- How King Charles III's Coronation Differs From His Mom Queen Elizabeth II's
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- New York state trooper charged in deadly shooting captured on bodycam video after high-speed chase
- 2015: The Year Methane Leaked into the Headlines
- Coach Flash Sale: Save 85% on Handbags, Shoes, Jewelry, Belts, Wallets, and More
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Prince Harry Reunites With Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie at King Charles III's Coronation
Zoonotic diseases like COVID-19 and monkeypox will become more common, experts say
At Freedom House, these Black men saved lives. Paramedics are book topic
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Battle in California over Potential Health Risks of Smart Meters
Prince Andrew Wears Full Royal Regalia, Prince Harry Remains in a Suit at King Charles III's Coronation
New York state trooper charged in deadly shooting captured on bodycam video after high-speed chase