Current:Home > NewsPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Jan. 6 defendant accused of carrying firearms into Obama's D.C. neighborhood to be jailed pending trial -Quantum Capital Pro
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Jan. 6 defendant accused of carrying firearms into Obama's D.C. neighborhood to be jailed pending trial
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:09:35
A Washington,PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center D.C., judge has ordered a man who allegedly carried firearms into former President Obama's D.C. neighborhood last week to be jailed pending trial.
"I do believe detention is appropriate in this case," Magistrate Judge Zia Faruqui said of Taylor Tarango, who is also a Jan. 6 defendant. Faruqui added that while the government's argument was not a "slam dunk," he believes prosecutors showed with "clear and convincing evidence" that no combination of conditions could ensure the safety of the community.
Police arrested Taranto earlier this month, after he claimed on a livestream that he possessed explosives. So far, prosecutors have pursued only misdemeanor charges, and the open warrant for Taranto's arrest stems from his alleged participation in the Jan. 6 mob. But last week, attorneys for the U.S. government told Faruqui they intend to seek additional charges.
Prosecutors said Taranto's arrest followed a "pretty intense, two-day manhunt," which prompted a brief chase once U.S. Secret Service ultimately approached the suspect.
The government argued that Taranto "does not recognize the legitimacy of the U.S. government" and has "strongly signal[ed]" that he would not follow the court's restrictions.
Defense attorney Kathryne Guevara argued, "Speculation that [Taranto] would not comply with court's orders is without foundation… he has demonstrated throughout his life that he respects authority."
Guevara accused the government of "twisting the facts," noting that Taranto never entered Obama's property or that of his former top aide, John Podesta.
She added that Taranto has repeatedly engaged with VA services and routinely speaks with a therapist, alleging further that his encounters in Washington, D.C., have been "triggering," which prevented him from healing from his underlying trauma. She said that in the course of his military service, Taranto had driven a combat vehicle hit by enemy fire, an experience of "extreme carnage" that resulted in trauma.
Prosecutors later called Mr. Taranto's engagement with mental health services a "red flag," given his recent actions.
In issuing his decision, Faruqui said he relied on Chief Judge James Boasberg's previous assertion that he can hold a detention hearing based on possible risk of flight, but ultimately detain him on the issue of dangerousness. In expressing his concern, the judge said that one of the guns in Taranto's possessions "looks like it belongs on the frontlines."
The judge pressed Taranto to reconsider speaking with mental health staff at the D.C. jail, noting he'd be willing to seek other services for the suspect from the U.S. Marshals, but "you got to do step 1."
"You may feel like the war is over, but you have a long battle ahead," Faruqui added.
The judge noted that while he "can't predict the future," he remains concerned that the suspect's release "could be catastrophic," given his access to weapons and ammunition, as well as the distinct possibility that Taranto's "demons could come back," in reference to the defendant's mental health challenges.
Faruqui also acknowledged that the government has fallen short in providing Taranto, a U.S. Navy veteran who was honorably discharged, with the services he needs. "I failed you… we as a country have failed you… after you were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice." In one aside, he said he could not begin to fathom what Taranto experienced while serving in combat, during his tour in Iraq.
"Now you are paying the price," Faruqui added. "I'm sorry. My apology is meaningless."
The judge noted repeatedly that his decision relied on possible "dangerousness" of the defendant, rather than any risk of flight.
Guevara requested that Taranto be moved to Alexandria Detention Center, or at least be relocated away from other Jan. 6 defendants in the D.C. jail. A day ago, he was attacked and had his tablet stolen, limiting his communication with his attorney. Faruqui vowed to continue to work with the D.C. jail to ensure Taranto is better cared for.
Taranto appeared in court in an orange jumpsuit and glasses. Both his wife and mother attended the trial remotely, appearing on a screen via zoom throughout the hearing. The suspect's mother briefly spoke with the judge to confirm her willingness to supervise any at-home detention, an option ultimately dismissed by the judge.
The next hearing has been scheduled for Tuesday, July 25.
Taranto's attorney told Faruqui, "We do intend to appeal," at the conclusion of the hearing.
Nicole SgangaCBS News reporter covering homeland security and justice.
TwitterveryGood! (3276)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Nile Rodgers calls 'Thriller' best album as Apple Music 100 best list hits halfway mark
- Spain claims its biggest-ever seizure of crystal meth, says Mexico's Sinaloa Cartel was trying to sell drugs in Europe
- Tick season has arrived. Protect yourself with these tips
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Shohei Ohtani Day to be annual event in Los Angeles for duration of his Dodgers career
- 70 years on, Topeka's first Black female superintendent seeks to further the legacy of Brown v. Board of Education
- Widespread power outages from deadly Houston storm raise new risk: hot weather
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Fans divided over age restriction in Stockholm for Taylor Swift's Eras Tour
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- The Kelce Jam music festival kicks off Saturday! View available tickets, lineup and schedule
- Texas power outage map: Severe storms leave nearly 800,000 homes, businesses without power
- TikToker Allison Kuch Weighs In On Influencers' Controversial Baby Names
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker's jersey ranks among top-selling NFL jerseys after commencement speech
- Bill to ban most public mask wearing, including for health reasons, advances in North Carolina
- Giuliani becomes final defendant served indictment among 18 accused in Arizona fake electors case
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
17-year-old girl trafficked into U.S. from Mexico rescued after texting 911 and describing landmarks
Paul Skenes nearly untouchable: Phenom tosses six no-hit innings, beats Cubs in second MLB start
Last student who helped integrate the University of North Carolina’s undergraduate body has died
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
FIFA orders legal review of Palestinian call to suspend Israel from competitions
Pennsylvania school district’s decision to cut song from student concert raises concerns
Teachers criticize Newsom’s budget proposal, say it would ‘wreak havoc on funding for our schools’